Cat Stevens

Discussion in 'COOL Music' started by River 1509, Mar 14, 2012.

1. In theory, maybe, but practice counts. The bible says a lot of bad stuff no one pays attention to, too, and I just don't think the guy who sang "Peace Train" has transformed into a monster who wants to subjugate women and slaughter the infidel.

That said, I'm not certain what the appeal of Islam is. It's very foreign to me. Maybe some just like the esoteric nature of things.

2. srgreene

srgreene Members

Not sure what "bad stuff" you are referring to, but there is no universal prescription to oppress the infidel in the Judeo-Christian tradition. Despite its historical failings, where are considerable, the canon of Christianity most certainly does not call for murdering those who choose to leave the faith. Islam does. You are making a fallacious comparison- actually, your comment is so non-specific, you aren't making much of a comparison at all.
    I have no idea what is in Mr Stevens' heart. I only know something of the tyrannical ideology he embraced as an adult. The fact that it satisfies certain of his personal needs is irrelevant to me.

3. The bible does have "bad stuff." And, by the way, the Old Testament only relates to Christianity in practice. Christians take the whole thing. On bad days, it's turn the other cheek; on good days, it's an eye for an eye.

My point is only that a faith's doctrines are only one face of the faith. A religion is a dynamic thing.

4. srgreene

srgreene Members

I can tell theology is not your long strong suit. Jesus did not teach an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Total mis-representation of Christianity, sir.

5. I was speaking of the Old Testament, which Christians often take as much to heart as the New.

Stay off the defensive, Sr. This is a conversation between two friends, not a fight.

All I am saying is that people don't necessarily read every page of a text and then go, "Yep, that's my faith." More likely, a certain passage really speaks to them, and perhaps they want to feel that way forever.

Misguided, maybe, but like I said, religion is dynamic and it matters who observes. I personally think all religion is misguided. I listen to punk rock.

6. srgreene

srgreene Members

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

As for religion being "dynamic", you might care to consider the implications of the widely shared Islamic belief that the gates of ijtihad closed a millennium ago. And woe betide anyone who claims otherwise!