Can panama red ever make it back to the main cannabis seed industries?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding and Seed Strains' started by Guttagorilla, Mar 30, 2007.

1. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

When I was in high school, I found a job, through the H.S. guidance office, operating searchlights for grand openings, concerts, events, for an L.A. based company called "Film Ad Corp.". The owner of the company would call with a location and time when I was expected to show up and run the searchlight, sometimes more than one at a time. These were the old-school type searchlights, made during WW2, used here on the West Coast to spot "enemy planes", in case any ever approached the coast.

Whenever I did a job, it was a new adventure, being called to go to places I'd never been before, or to some rock concert. Often, we'd get backstage passes, to be able to get up close to the stage, where they'd position the lights. It was a way to get paid for attending a concert. I worked the Who concert in '74 at the Anaheim Stadium, the Wings concert at the Forum,,etc.

But even if it were just a supermarket, advertising a grand opening, there'd always be free stuff for the light operator, like food, etc.

It was a really kick-back job. Usually the roaming tow guy would stop by to drop off some spare carbons (they were "arc lights", using heavy-duty DC gasoline generators to power the light, through some heavy-ass cables), but other than that, no one would be there except you and the light, so there was little supervision. If you ran into trouble with the light (these were all war surplus, and in questionable condition at times), there was a number to call, and you would get right through to the owner, who would step you through the tips for getting the light up and running again.

These were good jobs if you were studying, or wanted to just chill out listening to the radio, or smoke a doobie and work the light while high. I'd usually have a couple of doobies on me, and a guitar, or harmonica. Sometimes I'd get jobs in some seedy part of town, at a bar, and have to go collect the check for the light rental. In the bars, they'd usually offer me a shot of whiskey, even though I wasn't 21 yet.

Anyway,,sometimes I'd be high from my own pot, or often people would stop to visit and stare at the light up close and burn out their retina, with their kids sometimes as well. If you looked at the light from the side, it wasn't too bad, but still,,like moths to the flame,,people would flock to the light out of curiosity. They'd come from miles around to see what this beam of light in the sky represented. It could be a car dealership, or anything.

So, this one job, down in Mission Viejo, this kid comes up to gawk at the light, and we get to talking, and he whips out a joint of what he calls "Mahaccan" (pronounced that way, I have no idea how it's spelled, but that it's the name of some Mexican state). We smoke, and I get high, and start walking in circles around the light, wondering each time I do a circle, if I changed the carbons or not. Driving to get a burger and back, it seemed as if time had really slowed way down, and I wasn't sure if I was driving at a "normal" speed, or if I "stood out", like I was high. It really warped time.

That job was the best. Every location I got called up to go to was a new adventure, a new opportunity to get high, read, play music, watch this light go around, and talk to people. I got paid about ten bucks an hour for a three-hour job, plus driving expenses, and they'd even pay for your phone calls. If you wanted to get paid, you could just drive down to the company location, off Olympic and Bundy in L.A., and pick up a check. Very nice man who ran the company, his mom was wealthy, had a mansion south of New Orleans, out on the delta, and they used this company for a tax write-off.

Ramble ramble,,,

Ideal stoner's job. Eventually, back in the 90's the owner died and left it to his son, who was also a pothead. He didn't do the best job running the company, and after a few years of this, they folded. By this time, the little automatic lights with four Xenon lamps were coming into play, and the competition ran them out. The last job I did for this outfit was working on the movie "Die Hard", in Century City, just above the old Fox Studios lot off of Pico. They used one of the high-rises in C.C. for the "Nakatomi Towers", where Bruce Willis was doing his thing saving the world, and "his wife" (Bonnie Bedelia), from terrorists. Great food, catered, got to meet some of the lesser stars and hang out all night on a movie set, watching time crawl.

Whatever that weed was,,the "Mahaccan",,was excellent.

I have no idea where most of the pot I get today comes from, probably local growers. I think the best stuff I've had recently was something they called "Hawaiian Sour", which I think is a cross between a sativa "diesel" and a Hawaiian indica. Long-lasting, and heady. Great expansion, hits you like a ton of bricks, and fast.

2. DiogenesTheDog

DiogenesTheDog Guest

I got some seeds that were supposedly found in somebody's father's old things labeled as Panama Red. A friend on OG had gotten some and passed them on to me.

Grew them out.

They were definitely Sativa.

But it was not a particularly enjoyable buzz regardless of how long they were flowered.

Tried many Sativas. The closest thing I found to that old school, instant smile, energizing buzz... without heart pounding & paranoia... was the Vietnamese pheno from RM's pre-cannabis cup Willie Nelson.

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I remember those good Mexican strains for sure. It was actually from Michoacan and often another similar strain from Oaxaca. The two where often confused due to the names.
    I also fondly remember Panama Red, Alcapulco Gold, Columbian Gold, Columbian Red and REAL Thai sticks from the far east.
    Good times.:sunny:

4. laurieloeppky

laurieloeppky Guest

5. laurieloeppky

laurieloeppky Guest

This is my first time on here so im not sure if i am posting this right , but my step dad gave me a bunch of seeds from over 20 years ago and called them Panama Red . I still have alot of seeds left . I planted some last year and it grew to 9 feet tall . The hairs were pink and at the end turned a reddish purple color. Does this sound like Panama Red ? We just called it the pink hair because that is what caught our most attention on it . Curious on what i got here ... If it is something you are looking for please text me 209-818-4863 In California lol is it cool to leave ## ??

6. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have a Panama Red vape cartridge. Does me nicely! However while the strain was considered potent back in the day the bud is below average for THC content by today's standards, averaging 10-15%. It's still a great high though!

Toker and ~Zen~ like this.
  7. newo

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  8. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

I got to see NRPS twice! Loved the laid back country rock vibe, mellow like the Dead and Poco. The pedal steel made their sound somewhat different.

9. newo

Saw them twice myself, once in Syracuse NY at a day-long outdoor concert featuring them, Jefferson Starship, America, the Doobie Brothers and the Beach Boys. The second time was in Philadelphia, in a medium-size venue where they performed on a rotating stage. They were never a top of the hit parade band but they could really please a crowd!

Toker likes this.
  10. newo

Actually it looks like this is a strictly Oregon company and you can only get it here. Yet another reason to visit Oregon, a stoner's paradise!

Try doing a search for it in your area on the Leafly website.