bump above cartilage piercing??

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by bandana_girl, Dec 28, 2010.

1. bandana_girl

bandana_girl Member

I got my cartilage pierced about 5 months ago, and I have noticed that there is a bump right above the piercing. It is not painful when I touch it, but I am wondering how I can get rid of it? Any suggestions?

2. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

if it's a stud sized gauge you can just take it out, let the bump heal, then put it back in. Piercings in that area are notorious for flaring up, so whenever it happens just take it out for a few days or so :)

3. bandana_girl

bandana_girl Member

I would try that but I don't want the hole closing up on me, last time I had my cartilage pierced and accidentally put too small of a gauge in and the hole got smaller so I had to take it out.

4. bandana_girl

bandana_girl Member

Oh and the bump is on the back of my ear

5. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

okay well my first advice is do sea salt soaks and hope those work

and here's the bad advice but it will get the job done, it'll just be a bit painful: Gauge up one size, then once it's not irritated from the gauging gauge down again

6. SweetBlasphemy

SweetBlasphemy Senior Member

Do not remove the jewerly, do not size up without consulting your piercer. Any activity like that to the area is simply going to irritate it more. On average, it takes 6 months for cartilage to fully heal, even if it feels fine before then and complications along the way will delay the healing process. That being said, your jewelry may be an inappropriate size/shape/weight and you may have to change to a different style. My forward helix refused to heal after 6 months until I changed the small CBR to a straight 14g barbell, for instance. But, don't do this without consulting your piercer.

Worst case scenario, you have a keloid but most likely it is a hypertrophic scar which I have had great success in treating with warm sea salt soaks up to 5 times daily and applying tea tree oil diluted 50/50 with water up to 5 times daily. The sea salt soaks will soothe and help regenerate the skin and cartilage and the tea tree oil will dry up the scar/bump and it will eventually just fall off or recede.

Here's some good info from BME, by far the most legit source for info on body mods:
    http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Hypertrophic_Scarring

7. bandana_girl

bandana_girl Member

Thanks :) i'll start doing some seasalt soaks and if those don't help it i will do the tea tree oil as well and hopefully that will help it!

8. HolEChick

HolEChick Members

My GF had the same thing on her nose and one behind the tip of her ear (both cartilage piercings.) We tried all the methods (sea salt soak, aspirin paste, tea tree oil) to get them gone and were disappointed, until a friend told us about a product called Post-Pierce that gets rid of the cartilage piercing bump in days. It really helped her. Figured I spread the knowledge.