Bought This Little Guy Today....

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by Ashalicious, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Can someone help me with how to care for him? I am aware I will need to transfer him to a pot soon (something that has adequate drainage out the bottom). How much water should I give him? What size pot should I use?

The people I bought him off of really couldn't answer any of my questions.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

Well, a guy plant isnt going to give you very much but pollen.. / I just couldnt resist teasing you with that..

let it dry out some and water it. when in soil they dont like wet feet.
    harsh window lighting might kill it. fluctuations in lighting will make it a tranny..

also the MJ part of this site is crickets chirping.. very little activity. rolling and a few others might see this thread when active . unlikely get much traffic.

3. Ashalicious

No wet feet...got it....and good to know about the harsh window lighting...I would have assumed that direct window lighting would be best.

I thought about posting this in the gardening thread, then thought it would be more suited for here. Le sigh. Where would this thread be most suited, in your expert opinion?

I am really nervous about killing this guy. I've heard that MJ plants can be temperamental.

When should I move him to his new home?

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

eh they can be resilient to some degree , grown many window plants over the years, some intentional some by accident. as long its healthy from the beginning, should be just as healthy ..

1gallon planter will be ok for now. 5gallons would be the best. however giving to much space at once might grow out of control. not trying to stun it, but sometimes its better to ween them up to larger planters.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ashalicious

Should I keep him in the little netting he came in? Or remove the netting before planting him in his new home?

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

the netting will fall apart and not mean much if it does not..
    they put that netting in the preemie trays makes easier to get out and keep the soil from crumbling off.. root will just blast over it, so its not a problem.
    feed with a 20/20/20 soon after it settles in new home. switch to a flowering nute in 2months .. not sure the ratio off the top my head.. once flowering, wont worry about leaf burn and wilt so much.

7. Ashalicious

Not too sure what this means.......20/20/20? Flowering nute?

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

20/20/20 is all purpose plant foods..

ripped .
    The three major nutrients that are found in soil are Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium or NPK for short. NPK can come in two forms – with the soil or as a stand-alone fertilizer (usually in a bottle). When you look at the bag you will see that the % of each part is stated. Such as 20:20:20. This means 20% N, 20% P, 20% K. The remaining 40% is just other elements that make-up the soil. In liquid it would usually be water. This ratio can change between different types of nutrient and soil brands so we need to understand what Cannabis likes.
    Cannabis plants like good levels of N and a normal level of P and K during vegetative growth. You need to pick a bag that has all three, not just 10:20:0. When looking at chemical fertilizers you need a mixture that has the first number higher or equal to the rest. 12-12-12 is fine, 20-20-20 is fine, 12-6-6 is fine and 18-4-5 is fine. The 12-12-12 and 20-20-20 are the best ones to find. Something like 8-20-20 is not suitable for vegetative growth. Bags with higher P are for flowering plants. As a grower we do not transplant to new soil for flowering. We simply use plant feeds to bring up the P levels during flowering.

9. Ashalicious

Wow, okay, I had no idea. I've never used plant food before. I just let my plants do their thing, usually. If they aren't happy, I monitor water intake and move them around to different spots in the apartment, until I find a spot where they are happy.

Is plant food 100% necessary for my MJ plant (her name is Murphy Brown, actually).

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

yes food is necessary,, plant will flower in soil without food, however after it robs the soil of everything. it just wont bud like it should and it will show. may tranny/herm out from stress. you can use the 20/20/20 full cycle veg/flow as long the plant has something to eat other than plain water. little bottle of plant food will last year, longer than that plant will live.. unless you keep it going and going, which is possible, Ive had momma plants live years.

much different than ordinary house plant. even they can burn out the soil..

11. Ashalicious

Okay, great to know. I will get some plant food this weekend for sure.

Thank you very much for all of your help. You've been super informative. I really appreciate it.

I'd like to keep my little plant going for years and years, if I can. Fingers crossed.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bud D

Bud D Member

Are you going to flower it? Or just play wih it? Indoors or out? Do you have a light? It will likely not flower by a window. Cannabis is very light sensitive and will hermie if there is light pollution.

Go to icmag and read for a couple of years.

13. Ashalicious

Well I'd like to TRY and flower it, but at the same time, I'd mostly just prefer to not kill it. Indoors. What kind of light do I need? I have lamps in my house...would any of those work?

14. Bud D

Bud D Member

Lol, you remind me of my early days. As it turns out a little hobby interest gets very expensive and highly illegal all too quickly.

Your going to need lot's of light at the right spectrum. Led, CFL, hid, these are good lights for growing. More blue for veg and more red for flower. You do not want party lights or heat lights or some crappy light used to read a book. Your talking about par or worst yet lumens. A thousand watt HPS is well over 100,000 lumens. Of course your average outlet can only handle so many amps.

Do you have a budget for this little adventure? Keep in mind that the plant only needs so much food as light is utalized.

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I had a plant for a little while and it had a way of attracting these little white flies. Keeping after it got to be a pain in the ass. And I had it under a light so I kept having to turn the plant all the time so as to expose all sides equally, as if the light were the sun moving around the plant... It got to be such a hassle and was taking forever to flower. Finally some buds started to show but before long I was sick of it and sold her to a dispensary.

16. Bud D

Bud D Member

If it were my plant I would give some sort of seaweed when transplanted, as it helps reduce shock. I wouldn't feed her till she starts to root in and just enough water that she doesn't dry out or too much and drown.

Plant her outside would be best but it is early. Dig a whole and fill it with backpack after backpack of a good soil mix and amendments. Get a 3 foot fence around it and a pack that will hide a 3 foot fence...can be folded if needed them sprung back up. Find a spot with southern exposure and lot's of light and cover plants of similar stature. Load up on guano, kelp, humic acid, rock dust, handle full,of lime. Nitrogen for veg ( first number of the 3) and phosphorus for flower (second number of the 3).

Don't get attached to your friend.

17. Ashalicious

I definitely don't want to spent any more money than I have to........

18. Ashalicious

Holy crap, I'm overwhelmed now.

I am attached to ALL of my plants.....

Oh, and I've already got Murphy Brown in her new home. Just transferred her about 5 minutes ago.

19. Bud D

Bud D Member

Maybe you already spent too much? This is an industry ran my motivated people, even the home grower is spending a small fortune. Outdoors is cheaper but it is easy to spend $500 and countless hours on a small grow. These flowers are worth easily $10 a gram. One plant can with effort and skill yeild 2 pounds guerilla, a huge profit margin. Also highly illegal in most states. Not something fun to stumble in on.

20. Bud D

Bud D Member

What is the new soil? Pot size? Lighting? The days are almost long enough they won't early flower and light pollution usually keeps them from flowering.