Bottle Deposits

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by NotDeadYet, Jul 20, 2009.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

Had to recycle all the lamps when i worked at UPS. But when at the hospital I caught maintenance tossing them in the dumpster with regular trash..

2. fluttersteke

fluttersteke Member

lol, I was just thinking about that the other day. My grandparents used to do that. I'm from Michigan originally and I think a lot of people always did that but I hardly ever find soda cans on the side of the road. When I first left Michigan and went down to Florida for awhile, I felt like a dumb ass asking someone if I could take their bottle deposits from them since they were throwing them away. They had no idea what I was talking about.

3. DaveHT

DaveHT Member

Many years ago I was at a bar in Wisconsin, and I was shocked to see a worker throwing all the empty beer bottles into a garbage can (breaking every one). I was so used to all beer bottles having a deposit on them. I'm from Ontario and there has been a deposit on beer bottles most, if not all my life. We used to have a deposit on pop bottles too, but only on the glass ones. Now nobody sells glass pop bottles anymore and there is no deposit on plastic or cans unless it was sold with an alcoholic beverage in it. Even if you buy 0.5% beer there is no deposit, even though they use the same bottles as real beer. I guess you could make 10 cents on every bottle of near beer if you pealed off the labels and then brought them to the beer store for the 10 cent deposit that you never paid for in the first place.

4. Bobbie52

Bobbie52 Members

When I was a kid I remember walking neighborhood to fill my wagon with pop bottles. Two cent deposit per bottle. Bought a lot of penny candy and maybe a comic book (12 cents).

goodearth likes this.
  5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

6. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I used to recycle cans as a kid and had my kids recycle them for a while. I thought it would be a lesson in work ethic. I got sick of it after a while. The recycling plants are disgusting..seriously filthy. I just leave them in the recycling bin now for bums to take. California charges a deposit fee.

Vanilla Gorilla likes this.
  7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was 9-10 years old I used to do the same thing and always wondered why people just throw away good money. Now I do the same thing. Lesson, not learned.

8. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Apparently, tank top I bought at Target today is made from recycled bottles. I used to have a pair of boots made from bottles.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

A bottle of Coke cost 10 cents, then you returned the bottle for the 2 cent deposit. Which means a bottle of coke cost 8 cents.

And you could bounce the bottle off a concrete wall and it wouldn't break.

themnax, Running Horse and Bobbie52 like this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It was a great idea. We also returned our bottles to the milkman and his return figures were monitored. Less than 5% new bottles were needed by the dairy every day. Going back even further, you took a jug to the dairy when you purchased milk that was served from the churn.

I am more concerned about plastics in food packaging.
    Paper and card takes less than 5 years to grow and decomposes within a few weeks when dumped.
    Instead we deplete the planet of mineral oils that have taken millions of years to form and then dump them in the oceans where they take 300 years to fully decompose.

Whats that funny word we use to describe it all.????.
    Oh yes.... Progress.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I hope that no glass bottles slipped into the recycled material used to make either your tank top or boots Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Here in Iowa it's 5 cents a bottle. I take all my bottles over to my friend so she can return them and get the cash. Last week I put too many of them in one box, though, and the box broke in the middle of the street. I don't have a car so I was on foot. It was church Sunday so people kept stopping to check me out. A boy and girl on a bike kept riding by. I immediately was like, "I don't need any help," just figuring they were doing it because they wanted to help me. Then a whole family stopped and an old man got out and started picking up the bottles. It was nice of everyone I guess, but at the same time I didn't feel like being such a spectacle.

MeAgain likes this.
  13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

last i checked, some states still have a mandatory refundible deposit on all beverage containers. some don't.

in the 50s and 60 parents would let their kids save up their bottles and cans, and you could refund them at the store to buy candy.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have boxes and boxes of bottle caps I had collected for year and years. One day when the fallout comes I'm going to be rich. :)

15. goodearth

goodearth Member

Turning in drink bottles was my only source of income. I got 2 cents a bottle. Candy was a penny a piece, and a bar was a nickel. Comics were a nickel and A pea shooter or a wham paddle was a dime. There weren’t many toys back then. I got one toy at Christmas. My most precious gift was my bicycle. It gave me access to the whole town...and to the woods. I was a woods nymph. They only worrried about me if I didn’t show up at night.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  16. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Bottle and can deposits are a nobrainer for reducing litter. Unfortunately here in WA state the bottle lobby convinced enough people with horror stories about how much extra beer and soda would cost with a deposit. So......people decided it would be better litter the countryside instead of returning can and bottles.

17. Pantux

Pantux Senior Member

I live in Canada and a in province which is very active in recycling. It’s 10 cents for any can, bottle or tetrapac that is under a litre an 25 cents for anything over a litre. Of course it is a deposit so you pay up front. It still possible for groups like the scouts to make a good amount of money from bottle drives. I take them back and usually end up with $400 to 600 at the end of the year. I drink way too much pop.