BOOKS! does anyone else have a horrible habit of hoarding books?

Discussion in 'Books' started by littlebook, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I like loaning out books, but i dont ever really buy hard covers. I dont like trophy books, i like books that can withstand a little hard living, dog eared all to hell, loaned out and floated around to 5 people before they make their way back to me.

Maybe one day i'll invest in first edition hard covers that I will guard with my life, but until then there is something about a tattered paperback that has been around the block a few times

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I prefer paperbacks. They smell nice later in life.

Don't get me wrong I have a book collection. :D I love books. :) haven't read too much lately but recently started to read again/study billiard techniques.

3. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Kindle came too.late. Just imagine the trees it could have saved as well as the storage space for books which can fill rooms even.

Books are also much more inexpensive when bought through kindle.

4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Kindle fucking sucks

5. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Hemp paper is another solution to killing trees to make paper.

Kindle is OK, but some of the books are not done very well. No contents page in some, typos and even missing text in others. The illustrations in the standard kindle are pretty hopeless.

7. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

It is good that hemp and recycled paper are there at this point considering the climate issues which are getting more turbulent with each passing year.

Sorry to hear that. Well, you can get the books in the e-reader which were done well as per review. That itself would save space, money and trees.

Nowadays , almost everyone writes his autobiography and publishes it in a large number of books expecting large sales. If not, they are put in the basement.Same goes for fledging writers. These guys can be encouraged to put in kindle in the name of saving trees.

Same for recycled paper or hemp.

1 person likes this.
  8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I have found that checking out the customer reviews on Amazon before buying a kindle book is a good idea, as often if there are problems with the edition they get mentioned.

1 person likes this.
  9. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I don't read. So, I don't have a single book in my possession.

As for the question, I wouldn't consider it hoarding unless you actually read all the books you have. If you buy books to just by books, because even books contribute to consumerism, then yea... it kind of is hoarding. But, I don't think hoarding is that bad. I don't even understand why it's a mental condition. Just because it makes a house look untidy? I mean WTF?

10. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

You don't read? Nnooooooooo!!! :wall:

11. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Yup, this is indeed true.

Last book I read was about some guy with a dog. Call of the something. Or another. That was forced read for school. And I read... skimmed... let's be real, less than skimmed... that when I was 11.

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I have hundreds of books by now, maybe a thousand or more. Almost all of them are in boxes in storage because I don't have room to shelve them properly.

13. StellarCoon

This is the saddest post I've read all month!

1 person likes this.
  14. StellarCoon

I'm donating some of my older books to my public library. I've purchased 8 new ones this month, mostly to prepare for my college classes.

15. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

Yes, I have hoarded way too many books over the years. And Car Magazines, Martial Arts Magazines, 4X4 truck magazines. Etc.
    I need a damn library.

16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

My mother, while not a hoarder, was a ravenous reader going through 5-10 books a week. She would go to the library and come back with whatever the limit was and work her way through the stack of books.
    Worked with a guy like that as well. He ALWAYS had a book with him and he would knock back 3-4 a week, but he often tackled the BIG classics like Homer and shit.

I'm not a book hoarder, I'm an information hoarder. so in the 70's-80's that meant lots and lots of books and albums.
    Then as the computer age blossomed it became floppy discs, then cd's and on to DVD's. I have hundreds of cd's/dvd's with programs, books, video documentaries, etc,etc,etc.
    and now with high speed internet access, no need to hoard the physical item locally, just hoard the links. ;)

BUT, my best friend when I was 14-16, his father and mother had us all beat. EVERY room of the house was lined with floor to ceiling bookshelves stuffed full.
    The only exception was the main living room, there they had floor to ceiling bookshelves TWO DEEP! Yup, if you wanted a certain book, you may have to move a bookshelf to get to it.

His dad also collected "news". He got about 12 different papers daily, and saved them. When they went on vacation one year I was given the task of coming over every night and setting up the reel to reel recorder and tape whatever they televised from the Watergate trials.

I guess they had tens of thousands of books and his dad had read every one of them, but the whole damn family were geniuses, literally.
    Last I checked his older brother was the head of the geology dept at Yale.
    so I guess reading a lot and being raised in an environment that encourages learning works.

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Only if you read them.

18. morpheus85

morpheus85 Members

I often have books all around my bed, just so i can easily grab them if i get some idea and want to connect it with something from another book...ye i know its wierd :D

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I would love to hoard some books, but online stores aren't delivering my books to me :weary:

20. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

nooo i do not like holding books but my mom like do it. I can't explain why...