Book Research For Communes in NM

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by Burt Walker, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Burt Walker

Burt Walker Members

Hi. I'm new to The Hip Forums, but found you while doing research for a novel. Are there any folks here who were part of the communes in New Mexico, but more specifically in Placitas in the 60s or 70s?

I'm working on my third novel. This one will be focused on the community of Placitas from that period until now--more of a historical novel. I'm a child of the 60s myself and that period fascinates me more as I grow older. The novel will include multiple characters and follow their lives from that time and experience through now.

I'd love to ask some specific questions, or even conduct some interviews if anyone is interested in sharing their experiences. I could do it here in this forum, in person, on the phone, or via email if necessary. The characters will be based on a composite of characters and real life experiences. Of course any discussion between me and others would remain anonymous if you so desire.

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

That's crazy . Ya just go there : there's stories from the hippies and also those who
    hated them . It's necessary to realize NM surrealism , oh , then if so , just write anything .

3. Burt Walker

Burt Walker Members

Thanks. I'm actually staying here in Placitas now. I've been here a little over a week and will be here until the July 7th. Its a beautiful little place. I hope I can find some people that lived through that period. My daughter-in-law is from Santa Fe and lives in Albuquerque now. Her father was a state senator during that time period. She tells me he was one of those that despised the hippies. He's passed away, but his wife and son have agreed to share some great stories about his tenure there. Apparently, he was involved with some of the land issues that occurred here in Placitas back in the day where they ran off the last of the commune residents. It looks like issues with the hippies vs. the long time residents should be good fodder for a novel.

4. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

... it's within the over-all Surrealism of both Spanish and SW Indian .
    Trippy bumbling hippies stumbled into it .

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018