Blade Runner 2049 kind of bombed on its opening weekend, here is why

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Because the original is the type of movie many say is the best sci fi movie ever, but they only say that to sound cool

It was actually shit, they know its shit

Even Ridley Scott knew the original was shit, he was more interested in doing Alien Covenant(also shit) instead of the Blade runner sequel

Thus no one really cared about the follow up

Ryan Gosling having a face that can never look meaner than a puppy dog doesnt help either

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Glad someone else isn't afraid to admit that they didn't like Blade Runner. I've been trying to say that all weekend and people look at me like I'm batshit or too dumb to appreciate good cinema.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Lol

Maybe i'll check it out on tv when it gets there. Not in a hurry happily!

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I like the Original Blade Runner, wouldn't go so far as to say "Best Sci-fi movie ever" but it had a cool ambiance about it and the Vangelis soundtrack is pretty awesome.

I'd perhaps attribute some of it bombing due to the time between releases of the films. The sequel is released several decades apart from the original, it seems like it'd be more difficult to garner attention compared to like a series.

The recent Las Vegas tragedy might have been somewhat of an influence as well.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've never seen the original. i've also never seen an ad for the sequel, so that can't be good for business.

6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

This.

7. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

Happy birthday Leon!

One year old!

[​IMG]

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  8. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

The original was awesome. I don't know about "best ever", but it was very good.

I haven't seen the sequel, but its box office failure probably has more to do with the fact that sequels are generally shite

9. newbie-one

It's worth seeing, I recommend it

10. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

The sequel was great. The original Blade Runner was a box office failure too.

Pete's Draggin' and newbie-one like this.
  11. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

Make sure you see the right version though. There are about seven official versions.

There are some great unofficial fan-edits too.

The "1983 international version" is by far the best official version. The fan-edit simply called "the version you've never seen before" is a great complement to it.

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  12. newbie-one

why?

13. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

It's better than the 1983 censored versions because censorship is bad.

It's better than the later revisions because the later revisions ruin the very thing that made it such a classic.

What made the original such a compelling story is the human seeing more humanity in the robot than in his fellow humans and ultimately falling in love with her.

The revisions to plant hints that "maybe he's a robot too" undercut all that. One robot helping another robot escape from the humans isn't nearly as compelling a story.

newbie-one and Pete's Draggin' like this.
  14. Blade Runner has some really good moments, and Splash has great makeup in it. I was liking 2049 better myself, too, though. But then it started getting boring. A little TOO serious, mayhaps.

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah Blade Runner was one of those movies that critics loved but the viewing audience had mixed feelings about.

I saw it a few years ago and it appeared dated and I was bored halfway through although sean young was hot..............

[​IMG]

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I just never got it, 2001 as well, Blade Runner and 2001 space odyssey, both long .....slow, boring as fuck, both have panning camera shots that last like 1/2 hr that are just really irritating

17. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

The bladerunner 82' has a special meaning for me. It's the same message as Bladerunner 2049 that resonates with me.

A being ( replicant) on the screen that is born with cancer and is incurable. They want life and to live so badly , killing to find the answers and a cure is the only thing that matters. To say to someone that you will die on this day is a subconscious slavery.

When yourself or a loved one has incurable cancer or disease, is when a fictional sci fi movie can be scripted so well and understand its meaning.

The ending is the most important message, it is one that I hold very close.

Batty:
    "All those moments will be lost in time
    like tears in rain. Time to die."

Deckard (voice-over): I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in
    those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not
    just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same
    answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going?
    How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

I'm living these words.....

newbie-one likes this.
  18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

2001 is a highlight in cinema! It was an instant fav first time I watched it. Really time for a rewatch! :)

19. newbie-one

2001 was mostly about visuals/cinematography

It may be hard for an audience that didn't see it during its original release to realize that nothing like it had ever been made before.

It's still a visually stunning film even by today's standards.

20. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

I know I'm late in discussing this, but oh well.

I don't think the original was really such a great story, but the visuals were great and Harrison Ford actually gave a really good performance as a human who was actually less human than the robots (he isn't a replicant, that's stupid).

That said, I thought 2049 surpassed it in every single way. Gosling wasn't supposed to be mean, that was the whole point... he was the ultimate 'good' robot who never rebelled... and the way they controlled him was to make him more like a real human. Some people probably thought it was boring, but they way they actually dwelled on his life at home for me was a highlight-- why are they going through the motions like this if he's just a machine? I was pretty sure that it was to show everyone how our own lives and routines trap us, but also to show that society had reached a point where it didn't even matter if he was real or not... you actually LIKED and sympathized with these 'fake' people more than the real ones.

The story here was much much better than the original, the visuals were great, and overall I thought it was an intelligent and thoughtful film-- which is probably why it bombed.