Bible Questions?

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by OlderWaterBrother, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

I was thinking that a number of people may have questions about what the Bible says and would like to have an answer.

For example:
    If God is love, how can hellfire be justified?
    Where did Cain's wife come from?
    When and how are the meek going to inherit the Earth? Etc.

Not to say I have all answers but I'll try and look it up.
    Also I'd be interested in the answers others have found for these and other Bible questions.

I'm thinking more of a place for reading different answers to questions, than a place for arguing over the answers. Although I can see some discussion of the answers.

2. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

It can also be read

I appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as El Shaddai, and by my name Jehovah(YHVH) was I not known to them?
    or
    I appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as El Shaddai. My name is Jehovah(YHVH). Did I not make myself known to them?

Abraham can be seen using the name Jehovah in Gen. 2:8 so these readings seem more helpful.

The name Jehovah(YHVH) only starts appearing after the fall and is associated with redemption and the covenent.

Before the fall the general title for God ’Elôhîm is used throughout.

3. Ukr-Cdn

Ukr-Cdn Striving towards holiness

So what is the Resurrection then? Christ wasn't really human as you imply, so then how could he have really died. If christ did not really, die, are we then not saved? If he wasn't really dead, the the resurrection of christ (and our own) is hopeless...

doesn't xchrist say that his body will be raised, using the metaphor of building the Temple?

4. Rudenoodle

Rudenoodle Minister of propaganda Lifetime Supporter

So are you saying it is just a chronological type in the bible, are these other passages you site taken from diffent translations?

5. darrellkitchen

darrellkitchen Lifetime Supporter

The previous thread hit 2000 posts. For that reason, I moved the last three posts from the previous thread to this one.

Please continue your discussion in this thread.

Thanks,

HTML:

6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Yeah, there's different ways to interpret it. Here's the actual text in Hebrew.

vâ’êrâ’ ’el-’abrâhâm ’el-yitschâq ve’el-ya‘aqôb be’êl shaddây ûshemîy YHVH lô’ nôwda‘etîy lâhem

"and-I-appeared to-Abraham to-Isaac and-to-Jacob as-El Shaddai and-my-name YHVH not I-was-known to-them"

Here are some ways it could be interpreted?
    1. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as El Shaddai, and by my name Yahweh I was not known to them.
    2. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as El Shaddai, and by my name Yahweh was I not known to them?
    3. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as El Shaddai. My name is Yahweh. Did I not make myself known to them?
    Since Abraham was said to have known the name YHWH (Gen.2.8) it would seem the last two interpretations are more appropriate.

Also regarding Numbers 11 I think you are using the KJV, but in the young's literal and NIV it doesn't say fire consumed the people.

Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp.

7. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Sorry to keep bringing this up. I've thought about this a lot and I'm convinced that salvation requires zero effort or striving. It's Christ plus nothing. Christ's sacrafice is enough. Think of it what you will, but that's what I believe based on the verses I posted.

One of the verses must be interpreted incorrectly since the bible is without contradiction.

8. Ukr-Cdn

Colossians 1:24
    Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.

We, as the mystical body of Christ can participate and help (not complete) in Christ's suffering for the benefit of others.

Re: YWHW's use in Torah...

YHWH appears in Genesis 2 for the second account of creation. Your hypothesis, I think, fails.

9. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

For personal salvation Christ sacrafice is enough. Now passing it on to others thats what it's all about. Completely agree.

10. Ukr-Cdn

Curious question, have you heard about "sacrifice beads"?

11. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

No, what are they?

12. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

Where did Cain's wife come from? :D

13. Ukr-Cdn

http://www.fisheaters.com/sacrificebeads.html

they are a way of examining one's conscience throughout the day. you move towards the crucifix when you offer up you sufferings for the Church or others. this site also recommends you move it back towards the medal (of a saint usually) for every sin you commit.

NB: I use this site for great little resources like this one, but I will warn you it is not a real Catholic site in that it claims the Pope's for a while have not been real Popes and completely rejects anything that came out of Vatican II. This is a little info on sedevacantism, which holds that there have been no real Popes from the 50's or 60's prior to Vatican II. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedevacantism

14. Rudenoodle

All of the previous posts have been deleted!

But what of all the knowledge that had been collected and ascertained!!!111!!1 :D

15. Ukr-Cdn

Look at the closed thread below this one :p :rolleyes:

16. Rudenoodle

Who makes people deaf and dumb god or foul spirits?

Exodus 4:11

Who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?

John 9:1-3

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

Mark 9:17, 25

And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit. Jesus ... rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

17. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

No struggle is necessary but the relinquishment of our own recipes for salvation or survival techniques is experienced as a painful sacrifice to many. We might say God has a plan for our salvation, his works, ours does not. No focused attempts at behavioral modification can bring peace to a conflicted mind.

18. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Memory is living tissue.

19. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I agree. That is why grace is a free gift and can not be earned by effort only shared through good works.

20. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Sin is the general cause deafness and blindness, although wicked spirits can have a hand in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.