Best Kind Of Paint To Use?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Peaceful_LotusFlower, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Peaceful_LotusFlower

Peaceful_LotusFlower Member

I need opinions from other painters on this Forum, what's the best kind of paint to use and what brands would you recommend? I'm planning on painting soon and just like a few suggestions.

I'd appreciate it greatly. Thank you!! :daisy:

1 person likes this.
  2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

What kind of paint?
    Oil, acrylic, or water color?

I only use water color and I have different brands. Right now I'm mostly using some solid forms that I picked up at a yard sale. Only six colors, but I just play around.
    I also have tubes of Grumbacher, Cotman (Winser and Newton), ART Color, and Artist's loft.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah... "Oil, acrylic, or watercolor? Three totally different techniques with totally different outcomes. For most people it comes down to acrylic or watercolor... Oil paints are a different animal entirely.

4. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Fk materialsm and paint with whatever . Afterwards , consider methods of art preservation if you wish .

5. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Watercolour is hard to master. I know from experience, never got the hang of it. I'd start with acrylic.

Painting is harder than drawing. I personally can't be fucked with either these days but I appreciate the effort painters have gone into painting things that I like.

I think oil and acrylic allows more room for error and correction than watercolour.

My advice is if you want to paint something then paint either rocks or doors. It doesn't have to be be flat or made of paper. Rock painting can be inspirational.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

is what I use but I mostly paint on metal
    ?[​IMG]

7. fundoo

fundoo Members

I literally just put away my brushes. I was working with watercolors. I can't remember the name, but yes, they are pretty difficult to work with. I was just realizing tonight just how much I still really need to learn!
    I was doing a lot with brush pens this past year. Those are, in a lot of ways, easier to use (although I was saying the opposite last year. I was painting calligraphy and despite the fact of having to keep dipping in the "ink" (paint), it felt easier...at the time.)

curious what you're up to! I'm debating whether I'm brave enough to show any of my crap here, er uh hum, my stuff. :p
    p.s. it's only hobby. I'm no professional, by any means!! ha! :D

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Show it off!

1 person likes this.
  9. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, to me that is just cruel....more than anything...:p

You cannot talk about something you painted and not show it......

I want to see. Art is my passion.

1 person likes this.
  10. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

Show it! I am one to talk though. I don't have enough nerve to show mine here. Most artists do not claim to be professional simply because they don't make a good living off it, and consider the cost of supplies.

For me

Oils & acrylics - Windsor and newton mostly

For the OP get what is on sale, don't break the bank when starting out. The cost of brushes, paints, canvas etc can become very costly if you find it is not something you want to continue doing.

1 person likes this.
  11. fundoo

fundoo Members

Haha no, I really am kinda new at this. I mean, on and off artistic hobbies, but yeah, well, you'll see. Well, I don't even have my perhaps best one on this device, but I'll add to this tomorrow. Ok, off to make a thread...just as soon as I find the section. :p

12. fundoo

fundoo Members

Oh, ok, I can now tell you what paints I have. I think. It's made in China...

Art Advantage

And I k ow you didn't ask, but I was playing with colored pencils today and I really like this one brand. I mean, again, I don't know what the pros use, but I like them. I also like the smell. Ha! ...

Berol

But I also really want to get watercolor pencils. Yes, rollover Christmas wishlist items ;) So I might end up doing that instead, for now. We will see. (Yea, Christmas thoughts already. :p)