Be Your Own Hero

Discussion in 'The Media' started by motherwillow72, Feb 18, 2011.

1. motherwillow72

motherwillow72 Guest

(ok so i know I stole the title of this post from the tag line of Whip It, but I have a feeling Drew Barrymore wont mind)

All of this fascination with celebrities and the roles they play on the big and small screen it so surreal. We all place ourselves in the hands of the media and let them decide for us who is cool and who is not, where to go on holiday, what hairdresser to go, how to dress to be considered "in" and whats totally not.

We try to emulate others, we try to act like THIS person, and dress like THAT person. Celebrities have now become our pick and mix so we can make up who we want to be. We have perfume to smell like them, clothes to dress like them and movies to mould our personalities to become like them.

I say why not become our own heroes, our own role models. I used to be one of those people who would say "oh wow she was so amazing in that movie, i wish i could handle situations like her" or "her style is amazing, i want to dress like that so I can show to the world that my values and life are similiar to her" or whatever. I was always trying to change some part of me to be someone that others can look at and admire. But how about being myself, enjoying what I enjoy and let people admire me for my own individual things rather than trying to be like a celebrity.

So lets ditch this unhealthy obsession with our celebrity pick and mix and become our own heroes!!!!

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

my hero talks to himself and smells like cats

3. Charmed262

Charmed262 Member

Thats what I say too. I mean who cares about what celebrities are doing. I for one could care less. So I have to agree with you its time for people to be their own hero and not some celebrity that has no idea they are even alive.

4. LoneDeranger

LoneDeranger Trying to pay attention.

It's normal when young to seek comfort in a pack - to do and think what friends are doing and thinking. And part of that process is admiring actors/musicians/writers. (I remember really, REALLY wanting a Beatles' jacket, one of those collar-less jobbies they wore in '63 and '64. Finally got one. Wore it once. Felt like a dweeb. Never wore it again.)

But yeah, part of growing up/maturing is realizing true fulfillment comes with following your own path, not someone else's.

5. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

It is embedded in the human genetic code to please others from what I've seen. People pick up others habits and follow what others do in order to please people. For instance, if I like the fact that you snap your fingers every time you introduce yourself, I'll pick up that same habit because I liked that you did it.

No matter what, we'll all be followers of something in some way. But I feel like people should start trying to be the social leaders as opposed to the social/media followers. Be something that YOU are proud of.

6. caraflower

caraflower Member

People seem to think I'm some sort of extra special person because I love and care for my autistic kids. I don't know any other way to live...I am very tired after 20 years. We do need to spread the love around, and turn off the TV! Peace :)

7. Telepath

Telepath Banned

Awoman!

8. Telepath

Telepath Banned

The only tv show worth watching is Jersey Shore. They are all genuine, real, honest, and funny!

9. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

Why anyone would want to watch any of this garbage today is beyond me . All this reality garbage . It's like watching the all 24/ 7 Jerry Springer channel or something . It just glorifies low class behavior and selfishness . It's like it's mind numbing , low class , dumbing down of America . There are some great educational shows and channels on , it's pretty much all i watch .
    I.m.o. , Hollywood is partly directly responsible for the decline and break up of the American family . It's pure filth and glorified violence being piped into our homes 24/7 . Why people glorify and worship these " stars" and idols is beyond me . If they really calculate and realized the destructive forces they have brought to the world , and maybe even into their own family . Perhaps they would rethink their support and approval of these " stars ". Media control is a powerful thing . It must done responsibility When pretty much all you see is the negative aspects of humanity day after day , then it has to take it's toll . The media has become so mainstream in America . It dictates the morals and values of today . It wields entirely to much power over us , because we let it . If more people would begin to turn off their t.v. , they would be surprised at the quality family time ,and fun they have been missing out on . We are losing the art of socializing . Isolation is becoming a real problem in our culture .

10. zocipro

zocipro Banned

Yes, you can always your own hero...depends what you doing, what you wants to do and how its successful at all!

11. miromirante

miromirante Banned

heheheh why like cats ?