Are We All Going To Be Disembodied Heads Some Day?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jimbee68, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Actually this very topic was addressed in Star Trek: TOS once. When a intelligent race becomes very technologically advanced, do they continue to exist as disembodied brains?

This would have several advantages to having bodies. Less organs would mean less could go wrong. And I guess if you wanted to see, hear and interact with other people, you would basically do it on a kind of virtual plane.

Of course a race would have to be exceptionally advanced to pull off such a feat. But it still might happen some day, if it hasn't already happened on some alien world.

What do the rest of you think :) ?

2. What if women are an alien race of brain shaped creatures that are evil who embodied beautiful bodies in order to torture men.

2 people like this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    So... are ugly women the only real human females?

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The Talking Heads (rock group) got their name after watching an experimental set up at MIT, I believe, for the government.

The government people wanted a way to communicate with other world leaders in real time, but they wanted to see them so they could communicate better.
    So a bunch of heads were set up around a table unto which peoples faces were projected giving a 3D effect.

Talking heads.

[​IMG]

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

In The Technological Singularity by Murray Shanahan, the author confronts the possibility of us creating disembodied AI's that resemble some of the ideas mentioned in your op, such as the notion of the AI's being embodied in virtual planes and thus having communities and the ability to proliferate self-learning, efficiency, etc.

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Not without my penis!!!!

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nah. I haven't even agreed to donate my organs. No one is getting my head..

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

ill just be a pile ashes and small pieces of bone

dont really care what advances the future brings because i wont be here to care

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That's the spirit. Some folks are twice your age before they realise that.

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if we don't become extinct as a species in the next few decades, we will likely, at some point, soon i hope, be able to creatively re-engineer, our entire individual personal genehome.

another possibility of course, is that only the mutated by environment, will survive the coming ecopocalypse, thus giving birth to a new sapience, born of our genetic history as a species, but no longer humanity as we know it.

our bodies exist to carry our brains around. our brains exist to carry our minds around. and our minds, well the physical may not be the end of it either.

(not being HERE to care, is no guarantee of not being SOME where. indeed, of the infinite diversity of possibilities, only a tiny handful have ever crossed the minds of most humans.
    what ever world you are next born on, you have a responsibility, as long as you live there, here or anywhere in any way, for your influence on the conditions everyone there must face and experience,
    by which i mean, defacto responsibility, as a consequence, of the influence, no one, can avoid having.)