Anyone van dwell in a renovated mini van?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by drumminmama, May 27, 2014.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'm looking into options for lower impact and lower cost living, and urban van dwelling is an option. But I'd like to increase fuel efficiency.
    It's just me, I have washing facilities available.
    I'm looking at six months or so.
    I would be earning money along the way.

I'm envisioning a late 90s to early 2000 minivan, removing bench seats, hooks for hammock, SkyChair.
    Small solar array and induction burner.
    Food grade buckets for water.
    Cooler and dry box for food.

I'm looking at friends' driveways/property, state parks close to town, occasional parking lot stays.

Economically, I need to come in under $400 a month, including gas to get to work.
    I'd clump my shifts so that I'd only have four workdays, cutting down commute. I'd also use park and rides with bus and light rail, further reducing fuel use.

My greatest concern is safety and not looking like a house from the outside, especially on casual glances.

I've thought of getting a cargo minivan, one with fewer windows, but I like airflow.
    I'd happily tint side and back windows.

I'd wash it every couple of weeks.

Should I leave the first or last bench seats in?

Tell your tales, share your knowledge!

1 person likes this.
  2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

When you say mini van you mean something like a Hiace or Urvan? Some years ago I actually camped in a Leyland Mini van at a Confest and it was a bit cramped and when I got home it felt good to lay on a real bed again! Confest is the down-under equivalent of Burning Man.
    Any forward control van is not that good on fuel as they have the aerodynamics of a filling cabinet. On the highway most of the time you will not get better than 12 L /100km. I don't know what this is as MPG but to put things in perspective a Corolla would use about 7L/100km. Urban driving where constant stopping and starting is involved uses even more fuel. For this reason I usually park at a outer suburban railway station when I visit Melbourne and park my van. If I do have to drive it to pick up some thing bulky then I try to use the freeways even if it means paying for a toll road.
    As far as fitting out goes and what to carry compactness is the no 1 priority. I generally only camp on my van for few days at a time, not full time. If I was to camp full time I would consider a covered in trailer used by tradesman that can be opened from the side, for carrying a bit more gear.
    For a stove I have a single burner directly on top of a 1.25 kg bottle. The unit cost of gas for this bottle is one third of that for those stoves that use throw away cartridges. To make peculated coffee I boil water in a saucepan part of my steamer set -this way I make do without a kettle- and use coffee bags. These do make quite a good cup of coffee. For washing up I wipe out with vinegar and a paper towel.
    I understand what you are saying not being noticed. What you want is a stealth van. I don't have art work on my van. I won't buy a red or a black van - these colors catch the eye of the fuzz too much.
    I have a prejudice for Toyotas. The RZH Hiace was in production for 16 years so getting replacement parts should not be a problem.
    When I go away I carry a spare key around my neck just in case I get locked out.

3. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

I like the mini motorhome idea better, has an almost normal bed, cooking and bathroom areas. If I camp out long enough to call it living in there it's gotta be a motorhome style so I can feel like it's a home, a small one but it works.

4. drumminmama

Stealth, here, guys.

this is a cutaway of a late 90s minivan, bilby

and this is a typical outside

I have looked at Toyota Dolphin and the original miniwinnies, Sally.
    Every time I test drive, they are just beasts. I'm crossing the Rockies. High wind, two lane cliff side roads.
    And previously lived in miniRVs reeeeeeeek.
    Don't people wash? ;)

Actually, they have had cat issues. Between pee and dander, I'd rip out the entire inside and rework it.
    Why not do that with a minivan/soccer mom rig?
    I'm old enough to be a soccer mom. (My kid is 22)

With a pod on top, it will just look like a van used to go ski or whatever.

I have a small solar array+ batteries. Likely will get two more batteries.

5. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Down by the river?

6. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

My 2005 Dodge Caravan is set up as a stealth camper.
    I had started working on it when I thought I was gonna be homeless.

Our fortune has changed but I'm still working on the van for road tripping and such.

The main sleeping bunk is a chopped down desk. 4inch high density memory foam.
    I still need to build the bunk add-on for when it's both my hub and I.

What used to be the perfect stealth van though, is now compromised. The Caravan is great because it's everywhere and it's more soccer mom than vagabond. But now that my hood is fucked and the new one doesn't match, I've kinda lost my blend-ability.

I've slept in it without curtains but it limited where I could park.
    Black out curtains are great but I keep my two side vent windows uncovered and the front curtain open a crack so I can see what's going on outside. I wouldn't feel safe if I couldn't easily peak outside.

I use a coffee container with a bag and some kitty litter as my overnight pee station.

I found 24hr. McDondalds where a pretty good spot. Free wifi. 24hr toilet if the can can't cut what your body is dishing out. And they usually don't care as long as it's not an every night thing.

7. Sallysmart

I have a dodge caravan, nice for my work but would be too small for me to live in. Mind you I have very dark windows, only the two front seats and one back seat so lots of room and it would work in a pinch for a night or two. Nothing behind the drivers seat or in the back at all because I use it for my business.

8. Manservant Hecubus

Yeah, it's a small.
    It wasn't my first choice of vans but it's what I ended up with.

9. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

My guess is that you might be able to find a low cost house share that would work out better.

Vans might be good if you are taking a road trip, but if you are staying in one place, there are probably better options.

Sometimes there are old people who don't want to go to/ can't afford a nursing home, so they will give someone a free room (and cash) to help them with day to day living. Often it's only part-time too, as family members will help out.

This or some other cheap house share would probably work out better.

10. drumminmama

I should point out that in 95-96 I was 3/4 time in a stepvan.
    So, van dwelling is not new. I just want more stealth and better mileage than the big brown beast got!
    Plus it's just me.
    The stepvan was me, my son and my then husband. Toured, worked renfaires, did a couple Gatherings.
    Loved it.
    Don't want to muscle a behemoth!

Manservant Hecubus,
    Do you have the "bedroom" curtain at night, or a sunshade?

11. Bilby

I looked uo Toyota Previa and it has the same fuel consumption as a
    Hiace. I would rather have a Hiace van. As the body-shell is a bit less contoured it is a bit easier to convert to what you want. How about going to a live auction for one? Ex-telco especially if used for country work would probably be ok. Big companies usually replace their vehicles every few years to claim depreciation on them.
    I don''t think your idea of an induction burner is a goer. To make this work, you are going to need several large PV panels, several deep cycle batteries ( these are much heavier than normal lead acid batteries of the same size. If you are lucky, you will get three years out of them) and high capacity inverter.Not only will the PV panels and batteries take up previous space, it will cost hundreds of dollars when a single gas burner and small bottle would cost maybe $60?

12. Sallysmart

Single gas burner and bottle,,,, if you are talking about heating water and cooking, like a single burner stove this might be a cool option.
    It uses any solid fuel you can find, grass, twigs even dry animal dung as gross as that sounds. You fill the bottom, place the container on top and the fire goes up the chimney so it's for out door cooking and total should cost about a hun 40 once said and done if you buy the pot and pot stand to cook with, other wise it's just a kettle but it doesn't take much space in a small area.
    You might not have to get it from this site but I will provide the link anyway if that's ok, if not I will remove it if asked or a mod can destroy it. This site has loads of easy foods to cook and survival stuff. I buy my emergency water pouches from them.

http://www.bridensolutions.ca/water/treat-and-purify

I think they are in Ontario or somewhere in Canada.

13. drumminmama

(Well, a mod made the OP...good way to slide by. I know you aren't spamming the company.)

14. drumminmama

Bilby, I already own the PV. I work with a solar green house start-up, part time. We carry/re-market solar for RVs.
    I'd probably get a bottle gas/white gas stove for times I don't want to drain the battery.

But the stove in Sally's link is intriguing. I'd be in the forest. Burn bans, but this might fly.

15. Bilby

16. drumminmama

50w with four batteries.

It's needed to charge smart devices, a light and the induction cooker.
    Maybe an occasional small appliance, but likely I'd wait until I could get electric at a campsite for those treats.
    I'm not fully in the vehicle. I do have house access here and there.

17. Bilby

50w would be fine for charging smart devices but to run even single induction burner is going to drain the batteries straight away. What you might find useful is a windup radio with USB sockets for changing smart devices.

18. drumminmama

True. I'd not looked up the consumption of the induction burner.

Solar oven it is, then.

19. Vincent2012

Vincent2012 Perpetual Smiler

I'm actually getting ready to convert my '95 Plymouth Voyager LE. It gets 18mpg/C if I don't heavy throttle it, and about 23-26mpg/H under the same condition. I plan to install a solar fan either in the roof, or rig up something for one of the windows. I'll be building a bed and a kitchen box frame, plywood it up, using as much reclaimed materials as I can. The frames will allow for storage under the sink, counter, and bed. I'll have a composting toilet, a rocket stove, a solar dehydrator or crocks for salting meat, may even make a solar dehydrator.

20. Manservant Hecubus

Doing some dying today.
    The curtains between the cab and the back and the fabric side of my sun screens.

I might dye some extra fabric for when I get around to seat covers or even possibly use the fabric as header liner. My liner is currently half spray painted and I'm not sure if I like it but I'm not sure I dislike it enough to tackle the job of putting fabric up.

Going to my bro's on the weekend and he's gonna teach me how to fix my breaks...which is this month's van problem.

I'm still majorly procrastinating on my body work, as well.

DM: I just use the sunscreen/blackout inserts and only one curtain between cab and rear. The way the body slopes in the back, the curtains would hang awkwardly.