Antimatter and Cern

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Action Lad, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Action Lad

Action Lad Member

So recently i heard about this odd experiment taking place round Geneva.

Some of you may know already. But aparently a organization called CERN built this giant ring to make particles collide and creat a environment similar to the big bang. Now, before i go on, i do not understand much about this (just as the scientist dont know for sure about the consequences of this experiment, lol). From my understanding there are two out comes for this risky experiment: 1, nothing happens, or at least nothing threatening happens

or 2, we all get sucked into a stable black hole.

Now im just curious to why we should do this? Its amazing how humans are capable of using technology to harm ourselves, yet we still cannot cure aids or cancer.

Why are these people willing to gamble our planet and our lives to expand their already limited understanding of physics, especially on this planet?

I dont trust this shit, and dont think these guys should do it. Particle accelartion, stanglets, this shit gives me the creeps. Man cannot play god, at least not scientifically.

2. ESRUOS ENO

ESRUOS ENO Senior Member

in reality their are mini black hole right in the room your sitting... This isnt a gamble it.. And how do you know that we cant cure aids and cancer... You read to much and make up your own opinions.. Yes? While its true ppl die from cancer.. But millions live from treatment.. The world is bigger than a science magizine... Evevtually... All sickness will be cured... And accually there will never be anything called physical death to many... Imagine living forever... You already have you just dont remember it... some of us are waking.. Do we still believe we will die... Of course.. But it doesnt matter anyway cause Im just a ball of hydrogen like the sun and I can go where I want just like I can here only much faster.... scientifically WE are gods manifastated in flesh... you havent realized that yet ... Then of course I spent most of my youth and young adult life if the university.. Now Im fucked cause I know the universe more than other do and really its kind of pathetic how neive humans really are.... Stil I live in a world of uncertainty... Only its the others that are uncertain about it... WTF to do...

3. Gratefully Dawg

Gratefully Dawg Member

You have to take a couple things into account to understand how this would work. If you really believe the whole big bang theory you believe that at one point all mass everywhere was packed into a point smaller than this period. and exploded to form the galaxies. I don't think the big bang ever happened as its just a theory and it doens't really abide by natural scientific laws.
    But back to the point, if it was to be like a big bang, it would be a small bang because theres not much mass in it. And if they were just colliding atoms, the atoms would only merge to make bigger atoms, because they already do this in labs.
    What it is, is a huge waste of fucking money. They should be feeding starving people in Africa or investing in an alternative fuel source.
    You are right though, man cannot play god.

4. Gratefully Dawg

Gratefully Dawg Member

sorry, i had a double post

5. ESRUOS ENO

ESRUOS ENO Senior Member

And still this ceaseless murmuring
    The babbling that I brook
    The seas of faces, eyes upraised
    The empty screen, the vacant look

A man in black on a snow white horse,
    A pointless life has run its course,
    The red rimmed eyes, the tears still run
    As he fades into the setting sun

there are new bibles if you listen... closely enough...

6. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

The answer to this is that there is lots and lots of money in looking for the cures. But if you actually found a cure you would be killing the cash cow or killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

7. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

CERN is the home of the European Nuclear and Particle Physics organisation. If your interested in elemantary physics but are not a physicists its public facing website http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Welcome.html is well worth a long read and a bookmarking. The new collider the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) opens next year with a centre of mass beam energy of 14TeV (thats a huge amount of energy) I cant really give a macroscopic temperature equivalent, as the idea is to recreate condition right after the big bang. The CERN brochure http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1092437/files/CERN-Brochure-2008-001-Eng.pdf explains it using fairly simple maths (you probably need to understand Kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2).

The two main safety concerns that have been raised are the creation of black holes and things called strangelets. Strangelets I don't know much about so wiki them, thats what I just did. Black Holes can be created in a particle accelerator and these will be searched for in the detectors so we have direct evidence of their existance beyond astronomical searches. A black hole of the size created in a detector will not last long enough to engulf anything. People have rasied the possibility that it could, I dont think this is likely. Cosmic rays of a far higher energy than LHC will achieve bombard the Earth on a regular basis, if the stable black hole hypothesis was true, it seems quite unlikely that we would be here to make the hypothesis.

8. Action Lad

Action Lad Member

Strangelets, in my simple lay terms, are particles that differ from normal matter we know of. Strangelets convert normal matter into strangelets, and it continues to spread, like a virus if you will. Eventually, a possible outcome for the earth after being consumed by stranglets will be like a burning lump of strangelets.

And i do not deny the fact that we are manefestation of god, but i mentioned that we should not play the role of a godlike being with science since we lack enough knowledge of physics and the responsibility and contemplation of any possible consequence.

and Grateful Dawg is right, this experiment is a waste of money.

9. i2ghostman

i2ghostman Banned

No we dont lack to knowledge. Civilians lack understanding. And you watch to much Star Trek.... lol.... Dont be affraid of anything and youll be o.k. besides if you were unconscience for this event how would you know Earth was ultimately destroyed.
    I dont know... Chances are this machine is already running... Like the particle excelerator.. I have heard rumors that theirs one thats 11miles/18k across? That pretty big and there is no protesters going to stop that...

10. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

Strangelets consist of matter that is very well known. Particles like protons and neutrons are made of only up and down quarks. Because other quarks are heavier and decay quickly into up and down quarks. However the strangelet hypothesis states that if enough quarks are in a bound state then it is energetically favorable for strange quarks to not decay into lighter quarks. There is nothing strange about strange quarks other then their name. So far all searches for stable 'strange' matter from likely candidates cosmics rays, previous accelerators and neutron stars have returned the null hypothesis.

It is interesting that strangeness and cancer treatments are mentioned in the same thread. Radiotherapy has for years now used gamma rays in treatments. However gamma rays do not reliably deposit energy where it is required. A better alternative is particle therapy where gamma rays are replaced by hadrons. Initially protons are being considered, however more exotic hadrons such as anti-protons and other hadrons have a number of advantages. There are a number of labs looking at this including CERN. It seems everybody wants to cure cancer but nobody wants to do the underlying work to make the next generation of treatments. Science does have the occasional huge one off discovery, relativity, DNA where one paper changes everything, but for the most part its a slow iterative process. The circumference of the LHC is 27km.

11. i2ghostman

i2ghostman Banned

Maybe We closer to being one with GOD.. Than you have come to believe... Each discovery in this feild makes the human mind more and more appreciative of GOD.....Thus LOVEING this god more.... If this is about harnessing the power of the sun... And the SUN being our GOD... Then thats for you to decide.. Dont you love the sun?

12. Action Lad

Action Lad Member

Fun fact: One of Nostradamus' predictions included a disturbing reference to this little experiment, warning that all should evacuate from Geneva.

Heres a vid explaining it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ozjq80IF9dg