ambitious garden plans

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by homeschoolmama, May 2, 2006.

1. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

The kids have been begging for a couple years for a vegetable garden. Because the ground here is contaminated, I've told them no in the past. But last year we picked up the Square Foot Gardening book, and this year we're going to turn the deck off of our dining room into a teeny tiny garden. We will have one 3'x6' bed, and two 2'x3' beds... plus two 5 gallon pots, and two Mexican strawberry pots.

We're only going to have 2-3 square feet of each veggie, but I told them we would try whatever they wanted to grow, and this is what they want to plant:

Watermelon - the small ones
    Tomatoes
    Red & Yellow peppers
    Lemon & Lime basil
    Cilantro
    Lavender
    Salad onions
    Carrots
    Pumpkins - the teeny tiny ones
    Lettuce
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Pole beans
    Red potatoes
    and Strawberries

I can't believe how ambitious they want to be... but with any luck, it will all grow okay. My husband & son are making the garden beds & trellises next week, and my mom had most of the seeds on hand & is donating 2 tomato & 2 pepper plants so we'll be all ready to plant, come Memorial Day.

I just hope I don't kill everything! I have two black thumbs when it comes to vegetables.
    love,
    mom