Am I the only one who does not want anything to do with cell phones?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Spectacles, May 1, 2012.

1. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I have always had a land line phone but I just don't like phones all that much. I use mine maybe four times a month (that is an exaggeration in some months). Most of the calls on my answer machine are wrong numbers.

Phones are convenient if you need to make a doctor appointment, have an emergency or on the rare occasion call a long distance friend or family member. Otherwise they are a pain and annoyance for me. I certainly don't want to carry one around with me.

I do understand that they can have benefits, such as if you find yourself stranded while traveling or something like that. I have never been in a situation where I have had that kind of need for a phone.

More often cell phones have created rude obnoxious people, drivers who can't drive because they need to have that phone to their ear.

Am I the only one who will resist having a cell phone until they take my land line away? Just wondering.

RetiredHippie likes this.
  2. walsh

walsh Senior Member

You are into computers though. Why not them?

3. Spectacles

I can choose when to get on the computer. I don't carry it around with me when I go out.

RetiredHippie likes this.
  4. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Good point :)

5. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

I only answer my cell phone maybe half the time. I always hear "dude why don't you ever answer your phone" And then i say "Cuz i didn't fuckin feel like it"

6. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

my dad

he takes a phone out only when he thinks he may need it

nobody forces him to carry one.

so act similarly.

you hate mobile phones because it's trendy to hate them

admit it.

7. The Imaginary Being

and anyways - if they are useful in an emergency

isn't that even more reason to always carry one???

8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

always carry one....no way...there are ways to handle an emergency without a cellphone

9. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

I have a cell phone, its a pay-as-you-go 45$ one, bought in a box from Futureshop.
    Hubby and I share the one - we've had it for 3 years now.
    The most advanced thing it can do is text. :D
    And we bought it only for emergencies, and to have in the car.

I can't afford to buy a fancy-phone with apps and whatnot.
    The phone itself costs a lot, and even if you get it for free, the bills are still around 50$ a month.

Our little pay-as-you-go costs us 30$ every three months.

I don't give a shit about angry birds. :D

Peace,
    -Flowermama

10. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

Yeah ,I'm getting to where i can't stand them either . It's like people are attached and dependant on these things . I think , I would not miss them to much . It does make things easy sometimes . But man , it's like they are 24/7 stuck to a cell phone . While driving , shopping , and even at work . And I really can't stand texting . In fact I hate it . It's so stupid. I tell people don't text me , because I won't read them or respond . And I really hate those goofballs driving 90 mph. down the highway , with kids in the car texting .

I remember when we didn't have all this tech. stuff , computers and cell phones . As I'm sure many of us here do . And I think we were more social then . We got out and together more . In some ways I think tech. isolates us . Hell , we didn't even have a land line phone much of the time . You wanted to see someone you had to get out there and find them .

Today these phones have become like an unnatural extension of the body . I'm waiting for them to start implanting them . Like some sort of morph tech robohuman .

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I hate cell phones for many reasons, too many to list here. I don't own one, never will.

12. The Imaginary Being

that's more like it ;)

13. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Have Owned A Cell Phone Since We Had The Analogue Network.

Then Came The CDMA Network.

Then Came The "All Singing, All Dancing" Next-G-Network.

My Guess Is This Transition Took 16 Years, An Still My Cell Phone Usuage

Remains The Same...:).

In The Last Two Years The Only Person I Have Rung Was Myself...[​IMG].

And Before You Call Me Crazy, I Was Calling My Home Number To Make

Checks On It When It Was Out Of Service...:(.

Otherwise It Sits On The Breakfast Bar, Goes For A Ride With Me When I Have To

Drive Way Out Of Town And May Break Down, Or I Carry It With Me In

Town When We Have A High Bushfire Alert.

As For Using It For...:gossip:...Thats What My Home Phone Is For.

Cheers Glen.

14. Spectacles

I am so unaware of trends that I did not know it was "trendy to hate them". In my experience, when I tell someone I don't have a cell phone, they act like I am crazy or worse. I don't like mobile phones because I don't like phones in general and I don't want to be attached to one.

When Mom died the end of 2008, my Dad and I talked about getting cell phones. We never did and in the last three and a half years have not needed them. Dad has an in home emergency hook up that he can contact when/if he needs to from home. That company calls me if he uses it. It is not dependent on a phone. I don't remember him using that either. I live about two miles away and see him at least two times a week. When my power was out I was still able to receive his call on the land line. If I had a cell phone and the power went out I would not be able to keep it charged.

Sorry, but no one has been able to talk me into getting one. When they get rid of land lines I will have to consider it but not before then.

15. JeffSorrows

JeffSorrows Member

well it's just nice to have one around, even if you don't have service, most newer phones allow emrgency calls from any network's attena's for free, and without any service or contract. So just nice to have, yes there are many ways to deal with emergencies without a phone, but as an emt and self-taught wilderness survivalist, I could deal with most emergencies and walk 20 miles home with a broken leg and wooden splint system, but a cell phone could make that 20 miles less than an hour while in care of other EMT's with professional equipment and at a hospital fighting off infections and all that stuff. The odds of something liek that.. very low yes, but what if you're getting mugged, and he says "Cell pphone and walleT!" ... "I don't have a cell phone..!" you get stabbed and no cell phone then life sucks haha, or you can throw your cellphone especially if a shitty one with no contract and run like hell, all works out. Just I never answer my phone, but I use it as my mobile dictionary, alarm clock, watch and calender, which I have terrible A.D.D. so the calender works perfectly for me. So maybe use the phone for something else than being a phone..? who knows maybe will make it worth taking up a whole pocket space.? But good luck on your anti-cell phone quest. It's all the rage, which means will be a part of the future whether we like it or not. And also you'll probably be the one person without a brain tumor, so be happy about that =] for everyone else bluetooth or headsets ! though I don't use either one since I rarely answer my cell anyways.

16. Crayola

Crayola =)

Of course cellphones aren't an absolute necessity, but most of the time they will just save u some troubles.
    I have a few friends who don't have cellphones, i respect their choice, it's cool by me. But i just notice that sometimes they end up in stupid situations which would have been resolved in seconds if they had had a cellphone.

17. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I used to be obsessed with having the most awesome cell phone but now I barely ever even bring it with me when I go out. If I remember, I throw it in my purse. But maybe that's because my friends don't call very often and the most important people in my life are nearby and know where to find me anyway.

18. stoner oxy80

stoner oxy80 *"Senior~Stoned~Member"*

the pc is my old ladys and i have not ever had a cell phone but once, one month 2 phones cost 580.00 from sprint that turned me off of them, i don,t need one i,ll ask to use yours lol

19. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

I have an old MetroPCS phone, it just calls and texts, and I rarely use either, but you can get an unlimited plan for $25 a month, which is cheaper than a lot of pay-as-you-go phones for some people who can never give their texting a break

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

here you dont even need a working cell phone to contact emergency services. I have 2 phones that are not on networks, just in case..

after the chinaman had a heart attack and I had left my phone phone at home. I always carry a dummy phone.