Acupuncture Treatment

Discussion in 'Hip Communities' started by Robertina, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Robertina

Robertina Newbie

Hi there,

I am from Mississauga. My mother is not well. She was suffering from lower back pain and knee joint pain. She had done massage therapy before. But it was effective only for 1 or 2 weeks. She is still suffering.

Yesterday, when she was having a telephonic conversation with a cousin, he mentioned my mother about acupuncture treatment. She told me that she would like to try it. There is a clinic near us offering acupuncture treatment. Had anyone done acupuncture treatment here? Was it effective? Any side-effects for it? Please share your experiences.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2019
    Zombiefood likes this.
  2. Daretobare

Daretobare Member

I have had acupuncture treatments and found it to be quite helpful. Keep In mind that things will probably require multiple visits. I have had a kinesiologist work with my back. Between the manipulations and acupuncture I felt better than I had in years. Another option is CBD oil. It too helps me. I have a friend who for years had serious back problems from an auto accident. Surgeries, meds and eventually disability on account of it. He couldn't get relief. He started CBD oil this summer and he feels a lot better.

Zombiefood likes this.
  3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Acupuncture is good for treating a variety of conditions, especially pain conditions, and lower back pain in particular.

Acupuncture can be expensive, which is why community-style acupuncture and acupuncture teaching clinics are often a good option. www.POCAcoop.com has a list of POCA-affiliated clinics, but there may also be independent community clinics if you search for them. Community clinics typically charge about $20 per treatment, making them much more affordable than private clinics. With community style clinics, you're typically treated in a group setting, or maybe just separated by a curtain.

A search for acupuncture schools in your area might be worthwhile, as most schools have an affordable teaching clinic available.
    It's common for people to feel sleepy after a treatment. It's usually best to just rest and drink some warm water after.

It's best to wear loose clothing, or just wear underwear and get covered with a sheet during treatment.

It's good to have about an hour or two before treatment so as not to be distracted by hunger.

It might be good to avoid coffee or tea, or anything that might discolor the tongue, before treatment, if looking at the tongue is part of the examination.

The clinic she goes to may have forms for background medical information that can be printed online, and it may be helpful to complete these in advance. A lot of the questions may be different from what you might expect during a conventional medical treatment.

It may be helpful to ask the practitioner for any self-care recommendations

I hope things can get better soon!

Daretobare likes this.
  4. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I have heard only good things about it.
    I would go with a recommendation to be sure.

5. Poplo.

Poplo. Members

Great treatment but you better have some bucks........it isn't cheap.......................or good insurance...........

6. Zombiefood

Zombiefood Enter my world HipForums Supporter

From what I know about acupuncture is basically there’s two kinds. 1. Fake- Doctors who really have no idea what they are doing as far as treatment goes and end up with malpractice suits.

2. The real deal - Acupuncture has saved so many people from misery. Migraines, pain, I’m actually procrastinating on looking into it for mental health. The Doctors who really know what they are doing in my ( opinion) are not the first to come up when searching.
    If it was my Mom, I would do research until I am certain she’s not going to witch craft ( figure of speech )

There can be side effects yes. Life altering negative ones. Not likely, but possible. I don’t think at all though it’s dangerous. You gave me the inspiration by the way to start researching myself. Good luck and best wishes to you and your fam.

7. Poplo.

Poplo. Members

With in insurance they will do that for you if the company isn't a legit they won't pay. .

8. Poplo.

Poplo. Members

I had acupuncture for my back and it did wonders for me...

newbie-one likes this.
  9. Zombiefood

What do you mean ? Before seeing the Doctor you’d make sure that your insurance is covering the visit. If that makes sense. Also that’s great it helped your back. I heard it does wonders for pain.

Poplo. likes this.
  10. Poplo.

Poplo. Members

When I said it helped my back I meant it relieve the pain not cure it..................

11. Poplo.

Poplo. Members

That's right make sure your insurance covers the injections or other wise you well end up paying for it.........What's so complicated about that !!!

Zombiefood likes this.
  12. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

You're welcome to say more about that if you'd like to. You could also PM me if you'd like, though I'm not on HF that often.

This thread has some information about self-treatment methods:

Self-Treatment Methods for Physical and Mental Health

You may want to try getting acupuncture from a licensed acupuncturist rather than an MD. Usually they'll have gone through a 2 to 4 year program I think, you could check their credentials.

Teaching clinics and community-style clinics usually offer the most cost effective treatments.

Zombiefood likes this.
  13. Poplo.

Poplo. Members

A regular Dr won't give you shots for pain ...he might give you pills for pain.......

14. Zombiefood

Thanks so much for taking the time to right that. Yeah, right on. I tried to Pm you, I honestly have no idea why it won’t let me. I see I can’t follow you and only have the option to go to your profile. If I click that it’s an error members only thing. Absolutely though a license etc….that’s what they do. Shoot me a pm, it’s always good to chat and meet new people.

15. GeorgeCarlinFan

GeorgeCarlinFan Members

I did it in Australia, and felt so relaxed. It was a great feeling, but I think you have to do it regularly. I did it twice a week for 6 weeks.