Accents

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Candybuttons, May 9, 2018.

1. Candybuttons

Candybuttons Sweet Member

Ok I’m not exactly sure how to word this.
    Do you feel like you have an accent compared to others or do you feel like you don’t have an accent but others do? For example, if you are Australian, do you think you have an accent, or do you feel that Americans and Canadians are the ones with the accent?

2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Everywhere I've lived, even within the States I've been called out on having an accent.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When the english say --for example Turkey--it's Tuckey. I'd call that an accent. They seem to have trouble with their rs that way and then add rs where they're not needed, like Cuber instead of Cuba. Some in the states do that also. Having grown up (?) in California, I don't think I have an accent, however, I'm sure folks from other countries would figure I do. There are soooo many accents here in the states---I can tell many of them right down to the state.

Candybuttons likes this.
  4. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I don't........but I know intellectually that I really do.....I iz proper Yorkshire!

5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Belated congratulations on The Wars of the Roses.

6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I still pronounce some words with a bit of a New England accent including the non-rhotic and intrusive R you mention. But it's very subtle these days.

Funny thing though, everyone back home thinks I talk like I'm from California, and everyone here thinks I sound like I'm from the East Coast. Go figure.

Candybuttons likes this.
  7. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I was in Las Vegas watching the fountains at the Bellagio. Making comments about the coolness and beauty...

I couple of people turn around and said to us, "are you guys from Wisconsin?"

Lol... yeah.

They laughed and turned around.

That answers that accent......

scratcho and Candybuttons like this.
  8. Candybuttons

But do you feel like you have one?

9. Candybuttons

I don’t feel like I have an accent, I feel like I pronounce every word as it’s suppose to be pronounced.
    I think others have strong accents, like Aussies, Brits, and Irish etc. My question is, Do “They” feel like they have a heavy accent or do they feel that “We” are the ones with a heavy accent?

10. Noserider

I find it amusing that people think the English--you know, the folks who actually invented the English language--are pronouncing it funny.

Tyrsonswood and scratcho like this.
  11. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Yes if you were bothered about it you could say RP (Received Pronunciation) English would be the gold standard. Also known as The Queen's English, as that's how all the toffs speak. I like to mix it up a bit with other dialects.

12. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Well no, I don't feel like I have one. To me it all sounds normal because that's how I've generally heard it in day to day life and how I've always spoken.

I'm sure you don't feel like you have one... But if you're American you certainly have an American accent. Even a Canadian would be able to detect one, even though they sound very close to American English.

13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I am just having a proper brew....:yum::yum:.... Did you ever audition for last of the summer wine,? :yum::yum:

14. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

Americans have by far the worst, ugliest accents. Accents from the Northern states, like Wisconsin and Minnesota are so goddamn ugly and annoying that I have a difficult time listening to anyone from that region. Same can be said for NY/NJ, Texas, and some of the South.

15. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

I have about 4 different accents so take your pick

16. Candybuttons

I’m canadian and I can notice a difference when I talk to some Americans.
    Where are you from?

17. Noserider

Kiwi and Aussie accents are hot AF

scratcho likes this.
  18. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

New Jersey. You'd likely pick mine up very quickly!

19. Candybuttons

But they do LOL

Lynnbrown likes this.
  20. Candybuttons

Oh ya I would definitely notice that!