A Steak & Shake Sued Over Hot Sauce

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Dude111, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

It's a bit like a lotto ticket for some... and dragging businesses/individuals in for frivolous litigation is one thing that's driving up the cost of doing business as it becomes increasingly necessary for businesses to protect themselves against predator-victims.

If it is found that a lawsuit is without merit, its instigator should do hard time... and pay all court costs.

3. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

We need better laws against frivolous lawsuits and bigger counter-suits.

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Yes...

We also need to start bringing up a few generations who don't prize laziness and see victim status as desirable.

5. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

This is why I can't find any really good hot wings. And every batch of 'suicide wings' I've run in to I would call normal Hot wings at best.

Because people are fucking pussies.

Fuck that kids parents, and kudos to the kid for having the balls to almost die.

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

This i agree with 10000000000%

7. barefootlocks

barefootlocks Senior Member

Honestly, I would consider suing if this happened to my son. Not because I'm looking for a handout, but because there is no way I could afford to pay for the hospital bills. Granted, the parents should have prevented the situation from happening in the first place.

8. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

SUE THE MOTHERFUCKER UNTILL THEIR BACK BREAKS!:mad:

do any of you what blair's maga death sauce is?
    well i do! i use it.
    that goddamn waiter should be thrown in jail and, lock away one hell of a long time, for endangerment to a child and attempted murder.

whenever i have kids in my house, i lock it up, with all the other stuff that could hurt kids.

on the bottle of blair's mega death sauce is the warning in upper case letters, "KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDERN!"

the restaurant had that asshole as their employee, and he gave the kid that bottle.
    they are responsible for poisoning that kid!

if you think i am throwing a hissy fit over nothing, then go to the two websites below.
    the first one for firegirl. firegirl is where i order my peppers and sauces from.
    read about the schoville heat index and, where blair's mega death sauce rates on the scale.
    the second website is blair's.
    then tell me i'm full of shit.

www.firegirl.com

www.extremefoods.com

oh, one last thing. if any of you do want to try a bottle of blair's mega death sauce, i warn you now in the most strongest of terms...
    read the bottle over carefully and follow the directions to the letter of the law.
    I BULLSHIT YOU NOT!
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

9. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

When I was 15 I worked at a Burger King. Late one night this women comes in and asked for a hamburger with hot sauce on it. I made it right, added the hot sauce, she left with the "food".

Half an hour later she came back giving this big story about how I almost killed her husband because he's allergic to hot sauce. She said he almost, "choked to death." She demanded on the spot that she receive a free hamburger, same as the last one but without the hot sauce.

My manager was all freaked out because he was young too and so he wrote me up. He didn't seem to realise the stupidity of the situation. I swear the woman probably just lived nearby and her husband just wanted another hamburger, only this time for free. She looked like she had used up all her food stamps anyway.

10. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

CLEVELAND, Tenn. (AP) -- Some don't like it hot. A Steak 'n Shake restaurant in Cleveland, Tenn., was sued by a couple who claimed it served a hot sauce that sent their son to the hospital.
    Tim and Mary Katherine Gann said a restaurant server gave their minor child a bottle of Blair's Mega Death Sauce for his chili and encouraged him to eat some.

That could be considered malicious when the following is also taken into account;

The brand isn't customarily served by the chain, according to the Cleveland Daily Banner. Mega Death's maker warns that it's "500 times hotter than a jalapeno."

But this sounds like an allergic reaction;
    When he did, he broke out in hives, had trouble breathing and suffered severe pain.

If it is determined that the restaurant server gave the child a brand of sauce not normally used by the restaurant with a malicious intent, then a lawsuit isn't out of line and the amounts asked for are not unreasonable.
    The lawsuit seeks $10,000 in compensation and $50,000 punitive damages.

I wish it said how old the "minor" child was. There is a big difference between a 14 year old and a 4 year old.
    Sounds to me as though the "server" for whatever reason knowingly gave the kid some hot shit and was waiting for the kids reaction for a laugh.
    So a civil suit against the chain or criminal against the server?
    I would also go with a civil suit against the chain, the server only earns minimum wage + tips:p

and even though this is dated, it shows that filing a frivolous law suit can have some negative repercussions, at least for the lawyer;
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/27/politics/main986537.shtml

11. blackcat666

yeah it happens.
    about 30 years ago when i worked at a pizza hut, one of the delevery people pick up a pizza, and gave the people back their money. they claimed it was not what they ordered.
    when he got back to the outlet, the manager opened the box and threw a fit. those assholes had eaten half the pizza!:mad:
    after that all the delevery people had to open the box and check the pizza before they could hand them a refund.

when i worked a domino's. one time, we got in a box of cheese with a couple of cockroaches in it.
    the manager had us take the cockroaches out of it, and use the cheese for the pizzas!:eek:
    his claim was, "what the customers and the health department does not know won't hurt them."

it is hard to belive now, that, once, i was so dumb and young and, i went along with that.:sad:

12. barefootlocks

barefootlocks Senior Member

That is absolutely horrible!!!!!!!!!!!! I have NEVER done anything like that and I've worked in fast food for the better part of my life. Geez, really makes ya think twice about ordering out.

13. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

Whatever happened to a good ole fashioned ass whipping? :/

14. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

i doubt the kid broke out in hives just 'cause the sauce was spicy. probably was due to some allergy. not the steak and shakes fault/responsibility. i agree with stink in that the parents should have to pay court costs and face criminal charges.

15. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

Not defending either side, I used to get hot sauces that would equal being shot with pepper spray. Just not in the eyes. They have the capability of immobilizing a person with just a spoonful or so.

16. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

eh, pepper spray is made with capsasin(sp). whole helluva lot hotter than hot sauces made for human consumption. that's besides the point. stuff that's too hot might make your face turn red, your eyes water, and your nose run...but it's not gonna make you break out in hives unless you have some sort of other food allergy.

17. blackcat666

deranged please read my first post on page one of this thead.

blair's mega death sauce, is not that colored water tabasco sauce stuff, you can buy at the supermarket.

as for the hives that kid got. that is heat induced hives, not allergy induced hives.
    people get heat induced hives from: hot showers, hot tubs, heavy sweating, hot drinks, hot foods, hot weather and, SUPER CONSTRATED HOT SAUCES!

some people are connoissers of teas or wines. all i know about teas or wines is not much at all.:sad:
    i do know my peppers and hot sauces!:D
    i do know and, USE blair's mega death sauce... those parents have one hell of a stronge case aganist that waiter and his employer.

18. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

[​IMG] i go through a bottle of these every couple weeks. eat them straight out of the bottle. used to pound a jar at a time occasionally, but the shit burns too much coming out anymore, so i have to keep from eating more than 5-10 a day.

when i go to buffalo wild wings, i order the 18 blazin' traditionals and pound them all at once if i'm hungry enough.

couple months ago my sis got a video of me eating a raw habanero. i didnt drink or eat anything afterwards for an hour or so either. (second hottest pepper in the world. was thought to be hottest til ghost pepper was discovered 10 or so years ago).

i love me hot food too but i've never in my life seen anyone break out in life-threatening hives from something being too spicy. i honestly don't believe it's possible without some sort of other food allergy.

19. brokenbeacon

brokenbeacon Member

i'm sure "hives and swelling" suggest an allergic reaction, otherwise it should affect everyone equally. Hives would be unexpected, nothing to do with the actual hotness of the sauce.

Pain - yes the chilli would have done that and the server is an asshole. But would the parents have hospitalised the kid without the allergic reaction just for the pain?

20. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

Maybe the kid was just a fucking pussy. Anyone think of that? Maybe he was causing a scene in the resturant and throwing fries around while his parents were oblivious.

Maybe the little shit got what he had coming. I have no sympathy. Parents, teach your kids not to be stupid and pay attention to what strangers are handing them.