A look at consciousness.

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by MeAgain, Apr 26, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I believe, that we all believe, that we know what consciousness is.
    But in this thread let's delve a bit deeper into consciousness, what it is, and what it means.

First a simple definition: Consciousness is the state or quality of awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself.

Next a more inclusive definition: medical definition of consciousness. 1 : the totality in psychology of sensations, perceptions, ideas, attitudes, and feelings of which an individual or a group is aware at any given time or within a given time span. altered states of consciousness, such as sleep, dreaming and hypnosis.

And one step further is a definition based on John Levy's interpretation of Advaita Vedanta (in my own words): There are three states of consciousness, the waking state, the dreaming state, and the dreamless state.

While in the waking state we assume that we are constantly conscious, but is this so?
    Let's embark on a quest into the nature of consciousness.
    What is is it?
    Where does it reside?
    How did it develop?
    What is it's purpose, if it has one?
    What does it encompass?
    What parts of consciousness aren't we conscious of....and can we know them?
    And finally, anything else you can think of.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's when I look in the mirror, and I look right in my eyes and I realise that what's looking back at me is not actually me, it's just my body. Often I will look into my eyes and wonder what's behind it. It's a strange feeling I get. And to me that's my conscious.

MeAgain likes this.
  3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Isn't that what Buddhism is all about? Being so super-conscious--accessing the parts of our consciousness that we're not aware of--that you attain true enlightenment?

Isn't that what nirvana is?

4. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

From my personal understanding, I think it's just mere awareness of one's own surroundings and self. Or is it Self?

I guess that could go deeper, in terms of our egos, and how we see ourselves.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Would you mind if I shared a photo of a special book I have? It was bought for me by a man I considered my guru maybe close to ten years ago now. His name was Eystein and he was Norwegian. He was a very powerful figure in my life who I took many influences from. He bought this for me for meditational purposes. It's a great read. When he handed it to me, it was in a small brown paper bag, he'd written a powerful message for me in Runes, I choose to half cover this passage as it was meant for me only. Inside the bag was a pack of insense and to this day, I keep this book locked away in my small indoor safe with my grandparents medals. After the 10 years it is still enriched in insense scent.

He taught me that the ways of the Norse were deep within Hindu beliefs and spirituality. To connect with my inner self as an Aryan, I had best read and relate this book.

What I found immediately though was I had no real Guru or a Swami or anybody to physically guide me. So when he speaks about his meditation process began with sheer adoration for his Swami, I felt lost and confused. I didn't have that person, did I really "love" Eystein? Of course not. Yet, when I do go on my spiritual voyages it's Eystein who I see in my 3rd eye, which is why I call him my guru after all. I have not seen or heard from Ey in maybe 8 years now. It's a friendship I severely miss and I hope wherever he is, that he is safe. :) he must be close to 70yo now, I hope he made it back to Norway which was his dream, he wanted to go back home. I came back home, that's how we lost each other.

I would go on to hear some interesting stories about him from other people and how he was very much a cult. I couldn't see it. I can see where they are coming from, but if he was a cult then he took no advantage of me and I would have been easy prey at the time. He wouldn't go out of his way to help others, quite the opposite, but when he connected with someone, he'd do anything to help and our beliefs were kind of the same. I'd also like to think that I taught him things too. I remember he'd come around all hours of the night with his friends and ask my miss "is Jocelyn awake?" and I'd get out of bed and he'd be all excited and we'd go out for beers at Irish pubs and just talk spirituality for hours and hours. Sigh. I really do miss the man.

20180427_101547.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    McFuddy and Deidre like this.
  6. MeAgain

So the question becomes, what is this thing that real-izes?

Irminsul likes this.
  7. MeAgain

Can we be super conscious? That is can we be conscious of that which we're not conscious of?

I guess this is where the old hippie adage of "expanding one's consciousness" comes from.
    To get "high" wasn't originally to derive more pleasure, it was to move into a "higher" dimension of understanding.

8. MeAgain

In one sense consciousness is the awareness of your surroundings, as in the first definition.

But how aware are we of our surroundings, and what exactly does our "surroundings" entail?

9. It ultimately is ineffable and mysterious. It's kind of a closed circle. Whatever is perceiving trying to figure out whatever is perceiving. If you can't identify what consciousness is in the first place, how can you ever point to a place in the brain or in space...or wherever you want to look for it...and say, "This is the equivalent of what it's like"? You can't. It will always be a mystery.

There's so much more to the mind than we are aware of, though. Capacities we haven't even dreamed of. One thing I will say is that time IS of the essence. Of everything, including consciousness. Take a step beyond linear time and a whole new world will open. Time truly is relative. There are no endings and beginnings as such. Only rich experiences.

10. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

At the age of 10
    I believed in Carl's Dalai Lama golf tournament.

I always thought as a kid "total consciousness" meant that you were awake and aware of your surroundings buried in a casket. I said to myself, "who the fuck would want that, alive and kicking in a casket". I was using the word fuck at that age because parents used it all day long.

It was'nt til recently, a member here. A very well respected one ( I know it's hard to imagine) told me to look into Buddhism. I did and obviously total consciousness was better explained as I researched it more.

Im not all the way there yet, but Buddhism has been the first thing that sparked any interest since I was let down at 11 years old.

McFuddy likes this.
  11. MeAgain

Before we get into what consciousness is, let's look at the Julian Jaynes quote above and see if we can use it as a starting point.
    He uses a flashlight as a metaphor. Imagine a flashlight shinning in a dark room. If you ask the flashlight if the room is dark it will always answer in the negative as everywhere the flashlight looks it sees light. As the flashlight itself projects light, it can't possibly know anything about darkness.

So let's try and see a little of what the flashlight misses, and at the moment I'm only going to address the waking state.

When we're awake we assume we are continually conscious. We only "lose" consciousness when we sleep, or enter into some other form of "unconsciousness".
    I believe that as I sit here and type I am continuously conscious each second of the world around me and what I'm doing in it.
    But each second can be subdivided ad infinitum. Is our consciousness really continuous no matter how small the time period is that we look at? Let's remember that we can only form thoughts in limited sequential time. We can't maintain infinite simultaneous continuous thought. There must be some time interval between each and every one of our thoughts.
    If this is so there is no way we can be continuously aware, or conscious, of the continuous flow of reality.

To illustrate this all we need do is consider the neural gap in our eyes.
    [​IMG]

What this illustrates is that we normally aren't aware of this gap in our vision, our brain fills in the missing visual input and we never notice that the world we think we see each day is missing a small visual portion.

The same with our conscious attention. We think we are continually conscious of the world around us as we tend to fill in the parts we miss. The flashlight always sees light when its on. It doesn't have any concept of being off and so never knows about darkness.

McFuddy and guerillabedlam like this.
  12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Analyzing the phenomena from a physical viewpoint, the mystery to me is in how every aspect of consciousness gets filtered. When I think about it, there seems to be this layered aspect of filtration where awareness is filtered as in the flashlight metaphor, which I think psychedelics in particular can make one aware of. Then again, our conscious thoughts are filtered. Our thinking seems to be filtered in a two-fold manner, one for formulating understandable language, which we either say or think and the other for abstracting the stimuli/phenomena to summarily respond to it. By this, I mean representing stimuli in sort of a gestalt way, where the totality of the stimuli is understood without having to think about each and every part of it.

The mystery to me, assuming such filters to be a relatively accurate description of our conscious processes, are these effects automatic or are there some other aspects of consciousness (subconscious comes to mind) that are influencing these processes?

13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

A lot of this discussion is simply about the physics of our eyes

We focus on what we want to see, so when I am looking at this screen on my laptop, I am unaware of the rooftops of the houses outside the window. However when I focus on the rooftops, I become unaware of the computer screen. This does result with the point of convergence of my eyes moving and this is how we determine depth.
    It is the principal of 3D films in the cinema, where we either separate by color filters, transverse Polaroids, or oscillating glasses.
    With the 2 dots. I can focus in to the point that I can see both sides of my nose while looking at a close object, but focusing on an object in front of one eye, causes my vision to lengthen.
    As we get older, the lens in our eyes hardens, leaving the muscles less adjustment and often causing long or short sight.
    It is not so much a blind spot as not being to see everything at once.

Likewise, our iris adjust to light intensity. In a dark room, the iris will fully open to give us the maximum image from any available light. But if I shine a torch, the iris will close and the rest of the room will vanish from my vision.
    This is a lot slower than focus. A good example being that their is always enough light to safely walk around a cinema, but someone walking in from bright sunshine can easily start tripping over the seats.
    You can also experience this effect in reverse when you open the bedroom curtains on a sunny morning

14. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

That's a good question, actually. I think surroundings can mean material surroundings, as well as non-material (spirituality comes into play perhaps?) I'm not a proponent of linking consciousness with spirituality, but, I think there could be a correlation between spirituality and where our desires to be spiritual, originate. Most likely those desires or ideas come from consciousness, directly or indirectly.

15. MeAgain

Consciousness is an extremely complicated subject and we need to proceed very slowly for when we ask or answer each question about it a myriad number of new ones arise and we run the risk of running off into so many tangents we never get anywhere.

Briefly, and I hope we get into all these in depth later on:
    Guerrilla,
    There is extensive Buddhist writings on the topic of the filtering of perceptions or the consciousness of various "things" or ideas. A quick reply is that there are three ways of perceiving:
    Direct Perception, no filtering.
    Representative Perception, in which our consciousness of something is based on a false idea that we hold about the thing. (All beautiful people are good)
    And Image Perception. This is when the reality you experience, or are conscious of, is based on a (visual) image that you hold. (I see a stick and think it's a snake)

Wilsjane,
    ....And the analogy of the physics of the eyes holds for our conscious attention.
    Just as my eyes can only focus at one focal length at a time, so too the mind can only focus on one aspect of reality at a time. As I type I focus on transmitting my thoughts by the striking of certain keys, I don't pay attention to the fly walking up the wall or my heart beating.

Deidre,
    This is what I hope to get at.
    Is consciousness "spiritual", "material", both or none. And if so, or not so, what is the relationship, if any, between the two?

Deidre likes this.
  16. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

You can pontificate all day long, but ultimately its experience that matters.

"Those who speak do not know. Those who know do not speak "

This thread should be in the science forum not the philosophy and religion forum.

17. storch

storch banned

A person's beliefs, being the building blocks of the reality they perceive, limits their view to only that which corroborates their beliefs. When those beliefs are challenged, and the person has no answer to those challenges, they either replace the old, obsolete belief with the new one that actually fits reality--thus increasing the scope of what they are conscious of--or they censor all valid challenges by placing a lock on the door leading to the area where their faulty beliefs were challenged and discredited, which is a conscious choice to not be conscious, which, depending on what the conscious being believes to be as stake, could be considered dishonest. I think we can all relate to that.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  18. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I don’t think that consciousness is synonymous with spirituality, but without awareness (the ability to be conscious), we wouldn’t be able to discern a spiritual life. I think that consciousness comes from the brain, it’s a brain function, which is why when someone is “brain dead,” they are essentially unconscious. I’ve always wondered if that’s entirely true though or do people who exist in a coma like state experience an altered state of consciousness?

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

When I mentioned filtering consciousness, I was thinking more in line with the Blind Spot Test you posted, not necessarily perception. You're not really changing your state of perception as it pertains to those classifications with that test, the state of awareness is changing.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well either you're aware of your existence or you're not. everything that has a ceribral cortex experiences every same emotional state as yourself.

now the experience of existing, that's where you have all this subjectiveness. its inside you're own mind that you experience everything.
    the mistake people make about it is to assume because of this that's all there is.

sorry but there really is a reality that begins where all subjectivity stops. generally immediately beyond the edge of sapient society.
    all the rocks and minerals, even complex organic chemistry, these are the reality that is untouched and not alterable by subjective process.
    how the physical universe works are part of this too. and its the physical universe that is the default condition. nothing subjective is.

being the only thing one person is familiar with, does not make that thing, whatever it might be, a default (at rest/unaltered) condition of anything.