A cool symbol

Discussion in 'COOL Activities' started by Samhain, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And a lot of pagans have the Penticle, a symbol that I can vouch is so important to me, its speaks of who I am and my belief system, hwoever it is a symbol that I often wear under my clothes, I just need to be true to myself, I do not need others to see thiss, to underline to me the importance of my belief.

anyway, a group sign or symbol, well I believe this is as important as a group name, I know a logo is already being worked apon, I have a couple of ideas that I would like to throw out into the mix.

1) a logo that is somehow a mixture of all or most of the religious symbols of the world.

immediatly I think of this, this poses a problem, we would probably always leave one and so risk offending someone and also are we not aiming that 'cool' is a movement in its own right and not just the sum of all the different religions.

2) make our own symbol, however a difficult task this may be however, I would suggest that this should speak to everyone that is activily involued in 'cool'
    that everyone should feel a connection to it
    S

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I like the idea of a peace symbol with a heart perhaps. As far as I know there is no symbol to represent One Love yet. I also like the dove as a universal symbol of peace.

My book cover has a peace symbol with wings to represent the hippie movement. But it's a bit too ornate for these purposes, cause we need something simple and clean I think.

3. skip

Anyone is welcome to submit a logo idea. Just post it up here! :)

4. Scholar_Warrior

Scholar_Warrior Be Love Now

personally, I think the symbol should be creative to the point of not borrowing heavily from more recent, and pop, cultures, such as peace signs.

don't get me wrong, I grew up loving the peace sign!

But a new religion requires (imho) a completely new and unique creation.

If I think of any suggestions, you have probably figured out by now that, I will most likely describe them in detail here.

Be Love

5. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

Let's also remember that the peace sign, although associated with "pop" hippie culture now, was once specifically a symbol for nuclear disarmament. I think it's symbolism has been diluted enough.

Let's look to nature. Where would we find symbols of One Love there? How about maybe a drop of water? Water is Life, and is something we all share. All liffe on earth, from single-celled organisms to plants to people need water in one form or another, and we are drinking the same water the dinosaurs drank.

Perhaps a drop of water inscribed in a circle? Circles carry the meaning of cycles, totality, union, and endlessness.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the circle is always sacred, with its infinite sides. perhapse simply the circle itself, bereft of all partisan distractions.

many many times circles have been used as symbols, but always, as far as i'm awaire, with some modification. additional marks inside or outside of it.

if a plain circle (as opposed to a disk or sphere), without other markings or indications, hasn't, as is my guess, ever been used symbolicly, then it could and would perhapse, be uniquely ours.

and a drop of water, suspended in gravityless space, would indeed take the form, as do planets and other astronomical objects of a sphere.

although spherical stud pins, cuff links and earings are quite common, so there is that as in a sense something of a problem there. and of course everyone and his cousin have used a disk to symbolize something or other, but the unadorned circle.

someone might look this up and see if it's been used and if so when and by what.

=^^=
    .../\...

7. wandering_okie

wandering_okie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Our first official COOL "group activity"......awesome!

Would appear that we have consensus on one thing for sure. The symbol of COOL has to be "fresh". If we borrow from pre-existing "icons", then we limit the message it will express. I think the idea of "something from nature" has merit. (not to choose sides)

A round of LOVE for "the house", please...
    w_o

8. skip

I'm definitely for a circle too, but with more than that.

I would also consider the following:
    Gaia (planet earth)
    Rainbow (for the Rainbow people of the Hopi Legend)
    The Peace symbol, cause that's still an excellent message to convey
    Heart (for Love)

We've been playing with the COOL logo, and seeing as how the word COOL has two circles in it, each one could be a symbol. I was thinking of one a peace symbol and the other a globe. Or the word COOL inside a circle.

There's also a symbol of a globe with a rainbow around it, but that's been used a lot, esp. on the net.

It's very difficult to come up with a new symbol that doesn't contain old ones since nearly everything has been tried before. The peace symbol, btw, also ties us in with the hippie movement and political activism. How relevant those things are for COOL still need to be discussed.

BTW, I really like this group effort too. I'm not going to dictate what is what here. Cooperation is the key to making this community a reality.

9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

A flower of some kind might be good too - flowers symbolize so much..

10. Morning Myst

Morning Myst Member

I really like the idea of having Gaïa inside one of the circle, that would be great!

11. wandering_okie

wandering_okie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Not to seem like a "suck-up", (LOL) but why not just put all of that in concentric circles?

The peace sign divides the inner circle into three parts.....Gaia, Rainbow, Heart.

12. Starsrainbow

Starsrainbow ~om~

Greetings All :)

I'm so besides myself on this forum.....luvin it'
    Besides the weather here an sticky keyboard....ukk
    Here's a rough draft on 'paint'...
    Mind U...I can draw...but NOT in there.....LOL

Ok....draw yer image....full circle
    Then trim smaller circle within that rim....(filled as rainbow colors)

Put two lines side by side in shape of 'Peace sign in middle' (allowing that too to be filled with rainbow colors'

Then yer 3 spaces....fill in yer ideas....like dove/ etc

Now...thought also the letters could be of 'rainbow' colors....

Okay did that make any scense to anybelly ?
    (wiping sweat off)

(((((COOL)))))

P.S. trys to post 'n ' paste a pic

13. Starsrainbow

Starsrainbow ~om~

Having problems getting it posted here

Forgot to also add.....

On ouside of circle....with the words circling on outside...Community at top ....then Of....One...Love with like maybe a '~' between words........this like around the planet ya might say.....

He he ....look at this....use yer imagination....ok
    C O O L

Now put on the left O...at the 10 o clock position draw a line from O to slightly over C
    Now at the right O on the 2 o clock position draw a line from that Oput slightly over L
    Shade in a bit
    Look familar......eye glass shades....hehe

Also,...write down word COOL
    now turn it upside down......ummm....

But the best part is...this....write COOL backwards....LOOC
    I think thats how I did it last nite....putting mirror under that
    looks almost like word 'love'........

Okay I've got 'heat exposer' here ....snickers

Hippy may never let me post again (shakin head)

luvin U :)

14. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Perhaps a combination of the Venus and Mars symbols, inside a circle.
    I feel this is a time when masculinity and femininity desperately need to be united as equal forces.

A bird, or an angel, would give messages of freedom, ambition and also would be a symbol of our higher or spiritual selves

An Ouroboros, or a snake eating its own tail, would symbolise infinity, eternity, persistence, and also have a link to nature

Ill try to think of more when it is not 3am:)

Xx

15. Starsrainbow

Starsrainbow ~om~

16. skip

Thanks for all the ideas, we're trying some. If you want, post up a mockup like starsrainbow did.

Keep it coming! :)

17. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

not really a logo, just sharing a beautiful picture which is pretty cool~:)

[​IMG]

18. wyldwynd

what is signature size limits?? i can make it signature size if anyone would like to put it in their signature~

19. skip

Nice! We may be able to use different graphics on the Coolove.org site, so keep them coming! They don't all have to be logos.

In fact we're looking for all kind of COOL One Love themed graphics. They should all be original or in the public domain. We don't want to steal someone else's commercial work.

20. wyldwynd