U.s. Post Office $100 Billion In Debt And Unfunded Liabilities

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by egger, Aug 19, 2014.

1. egger

egger Member

2. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Never seen a state run mail service that really made profit.

1 person likes this.
  3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

why does everything have to be for such profit?

other than that, the USPS provides great service for low rates, and I almost always use USPS shipping when possible

4. KevinH

KevinH Just Floating Here

Republicans want The US Post Office to be privatized.

They've been killing it for years.

5. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Because it's better than loosing money.

But that's ok .... it's your tax money, not mine.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

because "conservatives" robb by underfunding, from everything they can, to support their idiotic, greed persuing, wars.
    (and any other way the can get away with, lining their own pockets, at everyone else's expense)

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

So pay it off.

Just like universities, roads, jails, and the like, mail needs to be a public service, run at any loss necessary to give a good quality service, for the proper functioning of the country and proper service of the people.

When you start outsourcing and privatizing things, nothing is off-limits, and government loses it's legitimacy.

2 people like this.
  8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

thank you and precisely. "austerity" (which is really welfare to rich corporations who don't need it) nullifies the whatever legitimacy there is, to the whole idea of the existence of governments of any kind.

9. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Blanket statement without much use. If the money's not there it's not there.

Why run at any loss necessary? To ruin the state? Sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever.

Then again, it's not my tax money paying for that shit.

If you want to keep something off-limits just do so .... shouldn't be all that hard.

I wonder how legit a government is that defaults on it's debt.

10. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

By the same reasoning, are they gonna shut down the armed forces. Given that its managed to score a 2 trillion dollar loss in recent times.

Maybe they'll also cut back funding of the hypersonic near space global strike Deathstar, that probably sucks up a few zillion more. But only exists on paper.

I wonder if America will do wha Britain did on the postal service. Sell it off underpriced, sack half the staff, then give a shit service, and see that the govt's backers get a nice cheque for the whole selloff.

Its amazing how these politicians think you can put on a "private sector" hat (presumably complete with matching cape and underpants on the outside!) and automatically make some activity absolutely brilliantly efficient and quality.