Skin Picking

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by zelda1722, Aug 16, 2014.

1. zelda1722

zelda1722 Members

I have a problem, I keep picking off skin from my feet and eating it, I know it's gross but I can't stop or I get real anxious. No one in my family knows, and if they did I would get locked up in a loony bin. Does anyone know what I can do?

2. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Maybe instead of eating it straight away - from body to mouth - you could collect such bits, put them on a plate in readiness for a 'scrumptious meal' the sight of such may trigger a subconscious adversion for to continue?

3. Amethyst_Bliss

Amethyst_Bliss Member

No, you're not meant to be locked in a loony bin. It's an obsessive thing to help anxiety. Are you seeing someone to help you out? What's really causing you anxiety and what other ways can you manage it?

4. zelda1722

zelda1722 Members

I can't see anyone for help, and I don't know what's causing me anxiety

5. Amethyst_Bliss

Amethyst_Bliss Member

Okay. Well, something is driving you to do this.

What else are you doing to cope with stress? Are you keeping busy with your life or are you isolated? How long has this been going on?

You could try to pick at other things like a rubber band....

6. zelda1722

zelda1722 Members

I'm isolated since I can't get a job and I don't have any friends in the small town I live in...

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

That in itself will cause anxiety...

Another possibility here. Sometimes eating calluses or biting and eating finger nails is the body's or mind's way of trying to get protein. How is your diet?

8. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Watch a video where skin is seen in a microscope and maybe where they show buggy things on the skin or look at pics of skin diseases, you'll be so grossed out you won't want another piece of skin in your mouth, especially when you imagine what's on your feet after you see these videos.

9. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

What should you do? Be happy, keep your door closed so no one finds out and buon appetite.

10. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

I pick at my hands and feet all the time, especially when I'm anxious. It's partially because of a skin condition, so it comes off my palms and between my toes in flakes. I don't eat it, though, and if I didn't pick it, it'd build up on my hands. So for me, it's win-win, even though the few who know I deliberately pick it think it's gross.

So I'd be a hypocrite to tell you to stop picking, because I can't stop either. But eating it? That's a bad habit. I mean, I gnaw at mine sometimes but I remember what I'm doing at spit it out. Maybe just stop to think about what you're actually doing. OR - find something else to occupy your thoughts and/or time, so you can't think about it - and from personal experience, the solution does depend on the situation. It will be a constant battle, until you get to the point where not picking becomes as natural as picking once was (which is why I fail at stopping - because I can't stop the peeling Don't be me)/ Keep busy.

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There are ways to deal with anxiety on your own, but therapy would definitely help in this case.

the best way to deal with anxiety on your own is to distract yourself with something that will keep your mind occupied. Anxiety is energy manifested in a non productive way. If you an direct your nervous energy into another form of energy, for example that which is expended when you exercise, just as an example, it will use up the time and energy normally put forth for picking and eating your skin.

if you fund yourself incapable of doing any other task I would definitely recommend therapy. It doesn't mean youre crazy to seek help, it means you're sane enough to recognize a problem.

1 person likes this.
  12. Amethyst_Bliss

Amethyst_Bliss Member

That's the problem right there. Isolation and loneliness makes people more depressed and anxiety. I don't want to pry.....but can this be changed? Are you too afraid to leave your house or are unable to work? What else do you with your time? I think keeping busy with a hobby will work.

You can find a therapist via online. Online services are being provided for people that can't leave the house. You would feel a lot better talking to someone professional that can help.

13. DieselGirl

DieselGirl Members

I have been a long time picker, and went after my feet badly at one point when I think I had a lot of anxiety and depression going on. I still pick at my fingers habitually, very hard to stop. One thing I recently learned about myself is that I probably have ADD and am seeking diagnosis. People with ADD often fidget in some way. I find I can pay attention better when I'm picking, while watching tv for instance, and if I stop picking, I will fall asleep. So, you may have other things going on, and it sounds like the loneliness/isolation is part of it. ADD/ADHD folks have a tendency to be loners, are introverted, often have anxiety, depression, etc.

Tags: