Free Hiking

Discussion in 'Nudism, Naturism' started by Au Naturel, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Member

It's been a long while since I've been on these forums, but I have a new passion I need to share.

I've been a nudist/naturist for quite awhile and an avid barefooter nearly 100% of the time. Recently, I had the opportunity to hike naked on a secluded trail in a state park near my house. This trail has 2 parts, a 1.5 mile loop that parallels a river for 1/2 mile and a 3.5 mile trail that terminates at the park visitors center.

This particular day was unusual in the sense the public access to the river is generally well uses by kayakers, but not today. I had always wanted to hike these trails nude for Naked Hiking Day. Unfortunately, NHD fell on a Saturday this year when the trails are busy. Earlier in the day, I took the opportunity to walk the river loop naked while carrying my shorts. What a feeling of being free. At the end if the loop, I noticed my car was the only one in the parking lot. This didn't mean I was alone since hikers can originate at the visitors center. I decided to take a chance and hide my shorts in a hollow tree and hike the river loop again. The loop trail intersects the longer trail at the trail head. The longer trail crosses a creek 4 times then it heads up the mountain where there are some benches. I had decided these benches would be my destination. Crossing the creeks was as fun as I had always imagined. I have hiked this trail a lot over the past 12 months and always barefoot. Hiking it naked with no means to cover up was exhilarating. I made it it the benches a lot faster than I had planned. It was late evening and I still had a couple hrs of good light left. I decided to try to make it to a tree that had fallen across the trail and turn around there. I made it to the tree only to find they had cleared the trail. It was then I decided to hike to a small creek that had a fallen tree across it. This was about 3/4 of a mile from where I was. I made it to the tree and decided to hike to an old tobacco barn a 1/4 mile away. The trail to the barn ran close to the backyard of a house trailer. When I approached the trailer, the family's dog started barking. This made me sprint to the barn. Once at the barn I decided WTH, I'll walk the 200 yards to the park access road that crosses the trail. By this time it was about 8 pm. I made it to the road and actually stood in the middle surveying the scenery. I heard a car coming and fled back to the trail. It was about time to head back since it would be dark in a little more than an hour and I had 2 miles to hike back. Since this trail runs thru the woods, it would get darker earlier. The thing that amazed me is I wasn't getting eaten by bugs. I began my trek back to the car making sure I enjoyed every experience. The mere thought I was in the middle of a state park completely nude with no means to cover up except to find a tree was really exciting. As it turns out, I had the entire trail to myself. Usually when I hike barefoot, I'm watching where I step. This time I was watching ahead as far as the trees would let me. I made it to the tree where I had hidden my shorts. I decided to leave them off and drive home in the nude. By this time, it was nearly dark and it wouldn't matter.

I decided on the way home I wanted to hike this trail again, but next time I wanted to cross the road and hike the 1.1 miles to the visitors center. I had just hiked 5.5 miles in the nude with no means to cover up. What a thrill!

2. RickIsHere

RickIsHere Visitor

Glad you enjoyed the experience, and I've done similar things in more remote/less traveled places, but really, what's the point?

I've since learned to enjoy nudity in places where it's expected and accepted. Meaning nudist resorts of course.

Really, I'm making some assumptions here about your setting, but if you continue this you are taking the risk of being arrested and possibly being convicted of some sort of sex-offender crime. Stupid, I know, but.... if so then it would really complicate your life, and not in a good way.

Best of luck to you!

3. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

If you were able to get to Vermont, there was an actual group hike on the Appalachian Trail there. As for what might happen to you anywhere else, it varies from place to place and probably, if someone called the cops (everyone has a phone these days) it would depend on the official's mood and whether s/he made a quick decision to treat you as a criminal or just a little irresponsible. You can't predict it. But know your local law, and have an idea about what's happened to people in similar situations in the past.

As for resorts, isn't that like "wearing" gates and fences? I mean, it's good to have a place that feels like home, but it's not real freedom.

4. RickIsHere

RickIsHere Visitor

True, to that extent.

A larger resort at least offers the opportunity to walk some distance and feel that enjoyment of having left your clothes far behind.

Empire Haven in central New York for example isn't actually fenced, it's just far out into a rural area.
    Same for Avalon in West Virginia. There you have a huge area to roam.

It's freeing to depart on a nude walk of an hour or so over varied terrain knowing that there is no risk of legal hassles.

I have no problem understanding the urge to hike nude with that feeling of freedom.
    I have fond memories of similar nude treks for a couple hours in the Shining Rock Wilderness area in North Carolina on a perfect summer day some years ago.

And make no mistake about it, I've spent a lifetime getting nude for an hour or so or even all day in various remote areas in state parks, national forests, and hidden swimming-holes, but just hanging out, not necessarily hiking that way.

Not sure I would do so now, especially because everyone is carrying a phone/camera today.
    If for example you encountered a less-open-minded woman with two young children, that might go badly for you.
    Got no desire to carry a felony conviction for showing my wee-wee.

Enjoy yourself, and stay safe!

5. nakedrhode

nakedrhode Member

I use to hike for miles naked when I was younger now its a short slow walks with lots of rest points and with the aid of a stick and most of the time I have someone with me in case something happens being disabled is hell .