Peyote always die

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by zastag_27, Jun 30, 2014.

1. zastag_27

zastag_27 Member

I bought already 3 times a peyote cactus of a couple of centimetres big, the last time was even a beautiful cluster with many connected with each other.

But I was never lucky with them, they always end up shrinking and dying...

I keep them next to the window, which gets sun from 11:00 am until about 04:00 pm. Watering them only about once per month.

I wonder if i'm doing something wrong?? Any advice is very welcome

2. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

I think its not getting enough water. I started mine from seed and water them every couple of days. The biggest problem i have is the roots haven't established enough and when i water them the plant washes free sometimes. Also some of them are getting too much sun and are turning purple.

3. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

^As mentioned in the post above, it could that its not getting enough water. It could also be it's not getting enough light, or a combination of both.

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

How good is the soil you are growing it in and how big is the pot? It is going to need space and allot of nutrients to grow well. I would put something like this in it or make your mix of the same stuff contained in it.

[​IMG]

5. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Soil is also very important. I've lost more cacti due to bad soil then any other cause.

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Not enough water, not enough light.

Probably soil too...

7. Legz1967

Legz1967 Members

I assume that your not overdosing with nutrients causing them to burn up. Otherwise it may be sunburn on the young plant. Young Peyote go yellow brown and die if there is too much direct sunlight on them for too long. Young ones are more sensitive to sunburn (ie before they are mature enough to flower). Older ones stand more chance. Peyote is best grown in the shade, at least when young and tender. I lost dozens of seedlings this year in just one sizzling week of direct sunlight before I realised there was a problem : (

8. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

cactus roots dig deeper than other plants. Make sure you have enough room for the roots to hold crazy, and water much more than once a month

9. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

peyote need 30 years to grow mature and potent anyway