University

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gyro Gearloose, May 30, 2014.

1. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

next week I will be at the uni. Mucho fun ahead. I will run around acting disoriented so that people think I am a fresh man ;).

Regards
    Gyro

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Too old for freshman, no one will believe you.
    But you have fun!

3. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

that's not nice. I'm young, I'm fit. OK, sometimes I feel my back, but I can go to canteen and only pay the student price ;).

I will. Hanging with the staff, drinking coffee, giving a lecture if I'm not running fast enough, thinking.

Regards
    Gyro

4. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

5. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Sure you're young. But you're not 18-22.

6. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

the art students like it a little bit more mature :mickey:.

Regards
    Gyro

7. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

enginerd...

8. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

that's always a plus ;).

Regards
    Gyro

9. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

I'm working on a new dorm at NAU.

I'm not allowed to stare at the girls for more than 3 seconds or I'll be kicked off the job.

It's called the 3 second rule..:mad:

10. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

damn rules ;). If the weather is good I plan to sit on the lawn, have a beer or two (it's allowed to drink alcohol in public all day long) and watch other people ;).

Regards
    Gyro

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

used to be they were all public and no one would stop you from going to engineering section where you could actually learn something. you only had to have student i.d. to check anything out. any more i'm affraid to do that, (unless of course i were to sign up to take classes, and thus get the i.d.), after stories i've heard of non-students being dragged off by campus police to be extrodinarily rendered to ghad only knows where because they may have looked vaguely middle eastern or something.

not that i do, i don't think, but i still like modern universities for their always newer and more playful architecture. i can still walk through the art buildings, though the no longer seem to have as much public display space, and eat at the chow halls, which all seem to have become contracted out concessions.

for me its a nostelgia trip to go wander around in one.

12. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

strange how things have changed. It's still a little bit different here. Usually all the buildings and lecture halls are open. You can attend lectures, until the prof boots you out. Never happened to me, but may happen if the room is small and lots of students want to attend. If there are not hundreds of students in the lecture it would be nice to ask the lecturer in advance if he isn't averse to have you there. That happened once to me while giving a lecture, that was nice.

Jepp.

Regards
    Gyro

13. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

I'm back and I had a hell of a good time ;). First thing the cashier at the cafeteria asked was if I am a student. I wanted to say yes, but then she would have asked for my student id card, which would have ruined my day. So I said that I'am a prof, which was fine for her ;).

Regards
    Gyro

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

But the important question is, what did you eat?

The nicest cafeteria I've ever been to was ETH Zürich. Our cafeterias are silly and fugly in comparison.

15. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

we should start a new eating thread ;). I had pasta, which was a stodge. The other day I had salted and smoked pork chop, which was good. Thursday I had sausage in curry sauce and on friday I had fish on a bed of shrimps and veggies.

The canteen in Konstanz has a great view over the lake ;). Well, the problem with the cafeteria I was is not the food. That is usually OK, they even have a menu for vegetarians. The problem is that there are way more students than places to sit for them. At the time I was a student they had 11000 students, now they have 19000 students with more or less the same number of cafeterias.

Regards
    Gyro

16. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

next week I will be there again. Since it is 'vorlesungsfreie Zeit', a break of 2.5 months, only the freaks are at uni. That also means no queues at the cafeteria ;).

Regards
    Gyro

17. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

I dunno. I got the whole univeristy thing, and why some/lots of people thought it was wonderful. And why some people wish they spent more time there.

But I cant say I really ever thought "wow wouldnt it be great to do another yr". To be honest, I tolerated it, and a lot of the people. But did I ever really, really enjoy it?
    Cant exactly say yes..

Do other people here think it was a brilliant time, or a means to an end? (OK Gyro you love it, and good luck to you for that!)

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I had a great time in college and stretched it out shamelessly at the time. But when I was done with it I was really done with it, so never really had that thought of 'it would be great to do another year' after I left. Besides, I live in a splendid college town. So the only thing to miss is the actual teaching (which wasn't why I stretched my stay there at the time anyway) :p

19. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

just had a short visit at the computer pool. Some students tried to hijack the huge monitor used for presentations, got beer and chips and prepared for a video session ;).

Regards
    Gyro

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I didn't like to do such things at all on college grounds. I'd rather split with a bunch of people if I really craved beer and chips and a movie.