Can you steam distill mj?

Discussion in 'Processing Marijuana' started by Hedgeclipper, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

I'm buying this guy:
    http://heartmagic.dreamhosters.com/distillation/tincture-kits.html
    which can also be rearranged as this guy:
    http://www.heartmagic.com/EssentialDistiller.html

this is primarily for psychological/spiritual alchemical purposes, for making various herbal tinctures, extracting wormwood essential oils and distilling various alcohols, doing extractions etc. This is -- although overkill and expensive -- a very versatile setup for what I want to do, but what would make me even more happy about buying it would be if I were able to use it for marijuana related purposes as well (and I know you can make hash through much much simpler means. I'm just saying I want to know if I can double purpose this glassware since I'm getting it anyways).

So since I can extract the oils through steam distillation of vairous plants with water (and some others with solvents and oils and potentially using vacuum distillation and whatnot), I don't see why I shouldn't be able to do so with weed.

Can I use this to make "weed essential oils" through steam distillation, or to extract weed tinctures?

I know I cant just throw some weed in there and some water and boil away like I can with wormwood, but with the right solvents, can I use this device to make hash and/or weed tinctures?

e: I have read that if I throw some weed (or I guess not to waste it, some hemp) in and make some hemp/herb essential oils with straight up water it will make some very nice smelling oils that have useful properties, but I want potent oils, and I don't mind boiling alcohols. If I can't do this I'd also be down to make tinctures (cuz the ones at the cannabis clubs use glycerol instead of alcohol and seem to suck)

2. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

Nice. sounds pretty cool

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Hell yeah, I like chemistry shit

What exactly determines whether or not a compound can be steam distiller...I'm pretty sure ephedra can be steam distilled.