Does weed get better or worse as it ages?

Discussion in 'Processing Marijuana' started by walsh, Dec 14, 2011.

1. walsh

walsh Senior Member

What is your experience? Does it improve as it is stored for longer, or deteriorate?

And how long does this continue - 1 year, 10 years? 100? If I found a 1000 year old stash would it be amazing or awful?

2. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I don't think it ages like wine. I think the better it is the faster it would go bad.

I know it dries up

3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

As long as you keep the bud dry, at room temp, and out of direct sunlight it will be good for a long time. The issue most people have is their bud dries up because they keep it in a plastic bag, and they are not air tight. Just get a glass jar with a good top. There are many places online that sell pot themed jars with cool designs, but I just keep mine in basic $2 Target ones, and I never have an issue with freshness several months later.

You can also put a bit of moisture back into buds by placing them in a bag with a small piece of an apple or other moist fruit. In my experience just 20 to 30 minutes is enough to put enough moisture into the bud that it burns better, but keep an eye on it. You can easily ruin the bud.

4. raincoast

raincoast Member

I dont see WHY it would get better, but a few years ago, a friend of mine was given a big jar of roachs from his dad (Saved from the 70s-80s), and let me tell ya, that stuff was KILLER

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Excuse me--but who lets it age? And why?

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

kinda like fruit...it has a window of opportune ripeness...eventually no matter how hard you try it tastes like shit and doesnt satisfy your hunger

7. eatlysergicacid

eatlysergicacid Creep in a T-Shirt

If you follow a correct process of curing it will get better with time up until a certain point when all the thca or other cannabinoids breakdown into thc delta 9. Not that all cannabinoids do breakdown into thc delta 9, but some do, and that is the purpose of curing from what I've heard. There must be a finite amount of the compound that will break down into thc delta 9 therefore the process would only continue for a finite amount of time, but prolonged curing can only serve to ensure that the weed is as potent as possible as long as it's done correctly.

8. tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar Interneter

I personally think weed is most potent when it is as dry as possible but I've never met a person who agreed with me. I'm really good at smoking without torching/roasting and I think this also works best when it is powder dry.

I think it is common sense that it breaks down over time, but I once smoked some that had been in a film case for 20-30 years and it was still plenty potent so I'd posit that in the right conditions it breaks down very slowly.

9. pipesdaddy

pipesdaddy Member

It depends upon the person who is using it. You have to make sure, what do you like. And if it is your indulgence, then it's quite sure that you want to do that the way which you think is the best option.

10. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

No, the cannabinoids do not 'break down' into thc. Delta 9 is the higher isomer with 9 carbon molecules. The lower isomers, delta 8 and 7 for instance, are missing extra carbon molecules that would make delta 9.
    This was the principle of the old "ISO II Isomerizer" where you would do a "rotation" of carbon molecules (by adding a strong acid to the extract) which would cause a carbon molecule break-off from the lower isomer and then bond with the next higher isomer. For instance, a single carbon molecule from a delta 7 rotates to a delta 8 making it a delta 9...in theory anyway.
    (A buddy of mine made some fine shit from some Colombian red-bud with one in the late 70's)

Anyway

The purpose of a 'cure' is to allow the resin to polymerize somewhat, giving the weed a nice leathery texture, deep rich color and makes it less hygroscopic . Also the turpines and other harsh volatiles slowly out-gas, mellowing the smoke further.

Proper curing is very rare these days, no one wants to take the time.

I'm given to understand that properly stored weed can last up to 8 years before it begins to lose potency, 5 years for hash.

ZW

PS walsh, I'm afraid your 1000 yr old stash is completely inert :(

11. walsh

walsh Senior Member

By what mechanism? In an airtight, watertight container preservation of plant matter is usually very effective.

12. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

yeah the plant matter is still OK but the psychotropic compounds are not stable and simple decay on their own over time.

13. eatlysergicacid

From what I've always read the curing process is similar to the decarboxylation process. I don't know the chemical process that either of these actually represent, and it's been quite a while since I've done any reading on the subject, but what I always read when I was into researching this stuff is that curing and decarboxylation are the process of converting thca into delta 9 thc. Perhaps this isn't a breaking down process, but I'm pretty sure it's true.

14. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Interesting, I never heard that... my guess is the increase would be negligible at best. I do remember a dry ice treatment that supposedly would add some carbon. kinda doubt it though.

The reason my buddys Iso hash ended up with more Thc 9 than the original pot was because Columbia and most sativas contain a larger amount of lower isomers than delta 9, therefore more to covert. After the carbon rotation there was a marked increase in delta 9.
    However when he "Isomerized" some sensi afghani, the potency didn't increase nearly as much because with indicas there are far fewer delta 7's and delta 8's to convert.

Now pure delta9 buzz is cool and I do enjoy it, but I always felt something missing, I still always wanted some normal pot to smoke, and its becoming apparent that my notions about the lower 'inactive' isomers of sativas being the real therapeutic part when it comes to stimulating appetite and relieving nausea (for instance) are beginning to prove out now that the actual research is being done. :2thumbsup:

ZW

15. Delta 9 The Psychonaut

Delta 9 The Psychonaut Member

I think for Delta 9 THC acid to become Delta 9 THC there needs to be heat, hence combustion to harness the active compounds.

16. eatlysergicacid

I went back and looked it up. Curing and decarboxylation are both the process of converting THCA to THC. Curing does this slowly over time and heating does it quickly. Combustion also accomplishes this goal, but it destroys a lot of the THCA instead of simply converting it because the temperature is too high.

17. Delta 9 The Psychonaut

Delta 9 The Psychonaut Member

Makes sense. I've always wanted to know more about the various cannabinoids, their ratios, and effects in general. Does anybody have any good sources? I have a good reference book about cannabis although the scientific jargon can be tough to wade through.

18. Mad Nok

Mad Nok Member

I dont think age improves it at all. The oldest weed i've smoked was two years old in a tupperware container, it was dry and burned super quick. It got the job done, though.

Depending on how it is stored really makes all the difference.

19. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I found some recently that I've had and misplaced/forgotten, it was harsh as hell even in a bong. Horrible waste, glad it was small amt.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Glass mason jar, back of the fridge. I've kept green for over a year like this and was just as good as the day I put it in there. :)