Combining Coffee (caffeine) with your amphetamines (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc.)

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by etkearne, Sep 20, 2011.

1. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

Hi, HipForum-ers. I hope you are having a good day as you read this thread.

I just wanted to bring up a topic that is rarely discussed here. That is, if you use amphetamines or amphetamine-like stimulants (dopamine releasing agents/reuptake inhibitors) like Adderall, Vyvanse, Concerta, Ritalin, and even Provigil, for utilitarian purposes (that is, to get things done), even if they aren't prescribed for you, DO you like to ever mix it with coffee?

I have been prescribed stimulants for about 4 years now, from Ritalin to Adderall to (now) Vyvanse (my favorite by far), and I notice the following: If I am seeking a state of euphoria or content feelings, I don't like to mix my Vyvanse with caffeine. It causes me to get slightly jittery and my heart starts to beat a little harder. Thus, it detracts from any euphoria.

However, in the last couple of weeks, I noticed that taking my Vyvanse alone doesn't provide enough 'umph' to get through a (sometimes) 11 hour work/school day (I am a graduate student and teaching assistant at a university). By the time 3:00 pm rolls around, I have usually been up since 5:30 am and I am out of steam, essentially. I noticed, though, that I can keep going if I drink even the smallest amount of coffee. I just get a half a cup of black coffee and my amphetamine feelings are rekindled along with a physical stimulation.

Like I said, if I were seeking 'recreation' from the drug, these physical effects would be a bad thing, but when it comes to needing to drudge through a hard work day, I actually welcome the physical push.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this they would like to share? I think that it is a commonly overlooked question when it comes to stimulants and people who take them for non-recreational purposes. Feel free to also include your opinion on smoking cigarettes with stimulants. I have never smoked so I don't know what it would do, but feel free to discuss it here.

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

No opinions, never done it, but....

Does an additional amphetamine dose not do it for you? Or are you avoiding it for health/neurotoxicity reasons, or?....

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The only amphetamine I regularly mix caffiene with is mdma and I thorougly enjoy the synergy that's created there. I believe I used to drink coke when I did adderall occasionally but that was more to quench my thirst than add to the high.

4. etkearne

I mainly want to avoid taking too high of a dose. I take multiple medications, so I have tried (at least in the last year or so) to take as little of each as possible while maintaining their benefits.

My doctor does have me scripted so that Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I take 60mg of Vyvanse compared to the 50mg I take the other days. So it helps a little. But, if I can solve the problem without having to go to 70mg MWF, I would prefer that.

Plus, since the problem is largely that of 'awake-ness' rather than inattention in the post-3:00pm time frame, amphetamines aren't really supposed to be used according to literature. I don't know if I agree with that or not, but it is in the back of my mind, at least.

5. evilreign

evilreign Member

What I do after my amphetamine runs out for school is take large hits from my crack pipe at 3 minute intervals to keep me going.

6. etkearne

I didn't think of that option. Sounds like a pretty solid strategy. I'll try it today!

7. etkearne

So another day of 11 hours of thinking ahead of me right now (it is 7:00 am). The question remains: Do I drink coffee with my 60mg Vyvanse or not? I can't decide, but I am pretty tired right now and a splash of black coffee sounds pretty good...

8. gendorf

gendorf Senior Member

drink some green tea

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

have you tried to up your vyvanse dose? You may be experiencing a cumulative tolerance.

10. etkearne

^ Yes. I realize that the Vyvanse dose is too low. But I only need the higher dose Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My doctor told me he will go up to 70mg for those three days next time, but I don't see him for five weeks. So in the meantime, it is coffee.

11. CrazyMatt88

CrazyMatt88 Guest

"If I am seeking a state of euphoria or content feelings, I don't like to mix my Vyvanse with caffeine. It causes me to get slightly jittery and my heart starts to beat a little harder. Thus, it detracts from any euphoria."

Cocaine does all of the above, still euphoric.

Brother, I have been popping speed over half my life now. I used to buy dex and black beauties (and phenobarbital on occasion) with my lunch money in school. When I was 18 found a shrink, convinced her I had ADHD, asked for a script of dexadrine. She said, "There's this new one called Adderall"... I have lived with the burden, and researched all aspects well (for fun, the kind of thinng you do on speed). In later years I became just a doper, stimulants and opiates mostly (benzos once in a while, but would rather drink). Blow was my favorite and my financial ruin, vodka my current pastime, but A's are my drug. After a while, you really start hating them if you cannot control, and can get as much as you want. They can fry you sure as glass can, just more slowly.
    Anyway, ask me a question, and you'll get a book. I still have 27 30mg's left. Have many lessons to share, tips and things I've learned, i hope to help with knowledge and just help.
    But off to work for now.
    Later
    ps-avoid citrus with amphetamine-cancels it right out.

12. etkearne

If you are trying to convince me to give up amphetamines, which I take as prescribed for a real condition, you won't convince me. Sorry. If that is your agenda, please leave the thread.

13. etkearne

However if that is not your agenda, feel free to keep posting. I just can't tell exactly what you are trying to convey here.

14. CrazyMatt88

CrazyMatt88 Guest

Wasn't my intention at all, though I would generally advise people to be careful about it. Since you don't abuse them, no need. i myself have never had the discipline to control it, knowing full well once you get past that point, that pill is going to make you feel like garbage, days without food or sleep. I don't know why I have to chase it, even if there is something else to move on to, save the A's for breakfast. i don't know how people are able to know enough, then wait till tommorrow. It's like people who smoke and can quit on demand.

in April I quit taking amphetamines for the first time since I was a kid. Really missed them on the job. Got a script again last month. have been experiencing side effects I never had before, since last month's.

tell me about Vyvanse. I remember the name, a friend of a friend was talking about it, as she spent 20 minutes liqifying and straining thru a peice of cotton up into a point, the 30 mg. Adderall I'd just given her (It was the fast acting E404 type as well). I told her it was incredibly stupid. An hour later, she stuck a different one into my arm for my first taste of H (first of 3x slammed). She told me it was stupid. We both were. Anyway she went on and on about how it's better than Adderall or stimulant for that matter. But for some reason I never even looked it up.

This question reminds me of my diet one particular 12 hour shift at GM in the summer of 2008.
    8x 30 mg. Adderall
    1 gram Cocaine
    1x Butterfinger Cappucino
    1x Irish Cream cappucino
    11 8 oz. XS (or XM?) energy drinks (various flavors to include cola, root beer, cherry, etc.)
    'I know it, you're on crack today." a co-worker theorized. That inspired me enough to recall stimulant use in detail that morning/afternoon. The energy drinks were being fronted by a peddler, he stopped by 11 times, I slammed them down in 3 or 4 gulps 11 times. Otherwise would have been the usual 1-3 16 oz. Blue Monsters. I distincly recall the happy rush Euphoria was absent. Now I rarely feel such a thing from Amphetamines if I do it is the first one of the month, but upstairs in the toilets, I chopped up and sucked down more than 3/4 of that 50. bag and remember being way too wired up to enjoy it. though I have enjoyed the euphoric feelings on amphetamines with caffinated beverages. Soda or, preferably and more notably a cold cappucino flavored drink of whatever sort.

Best of luck. but remember, no Mountain Dew or anything citrus based

15. etkearne

Sorry I mis-read your post.

As for Vyvanse, it is pure dextroamphetamine attached molecularly to the lysine protein. This makes it both extended release and prohibits snorting and injecting since it has to pass through the gut to re-detach the lysine. It is a heck of a drug and I prefer it many times over to Adderall or Ritalin. It is very powerful stuff.

16. etkearne

I had one of the most mathematically productive days of my entire life yesterday. I decided to take extra Vyvanse instead of coffee just to try it out (since we talked about it in this thread). I took an extra 25mg in addition to the 50 mg I took in the morning.

I came to such depths of understanding of some extremely abstract concepts in the field of Mathematical Analysis, especially in theory of Axiomatic Sets. It was a breakthrough in many ways. I managed to write accurate proofs for 8 out of the 9 problems in my problem set due next Wednesday. The 9th I saved for another day haha. Normally, it would take me 3 days to do that much work (I did it in 4 hours) and even then, it would be poorer proofs with logical holes in them. Even "geniuses" in the grad program would still take as long as I spent to write proofs of that quality.

So, yes, upping the Vyvanse works VERY WELL. But I have to wait to bring it up until I see the doc next month. However, I have about 5 extra 50mg pills, so if i use 25mg at a time, I can get 10 sessions in, which will easily get the proofs done until i see the doc.

Thanks for the suggestions.

17. evilreign

evilreign Member

Do you find that an increase in your vyvanse dosage makes the effects stronger and longer, or just longer?

I also have a vyvanse script for 50mgs, but I need to go up on it. Some people say increasing the dosage just makes it last longer while others say it lasts longer and increases the intensity. I was just wondering what your take was?

18. etkearne

For me it increased the intensity. It already lasts long enough. Heck even 40mg lasts long enough for me. However, the difference in my ability to 1) Get motivation to begin a task 2) Start it 3) Continue it for more than five minutes 4) Actually try hard at the task, all increase dramatically as I increase the dose. I can get steps (1) and (2) with the normal 50mg dose, but (3) comes in at around 60mg and I have only gotten to step (4)- producing quality, correct work to show for it, the few times I have experimented with doses in the 70-80mg range.

I hope that helps.

19. greenskies22

greenskies22 Guest

Chug a monster! I drink 2 a day every day. Usually only in the mornings. Party nights I splurge and go for a third.

20. ThatFatKid

ThatFatKid Guest

I just joined this site to like this post... I hope your happy
    (i also listed you as a referrer for the same reason)