Barefoot on Airplanes

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by cattard, Sep 9, 2011.

1. uniped

uniped Member

I never have attempted to fly barefoot. If I am traveling with my foot bare, I put on a cloth softsole slipper on before boarding that I keep folded in my pocket. I take it off after arrival. So far I have not had any problems getting through security though it can involve a lot of hopping.

2. barefootrick

barefootrick Member

I've flown barefoot more times than I can count over the last ten years or so. This is in the UK and around Europe.

I have only once been told to put on shoes.

When boarding a flight to come home from Spain once, a stewardess said I had to have shoes on to board. I popped on an ancient pair of flip flops from my bag, walked onto the plane, took them off again, stowed them and disembarked at the other end barefoot. I think I had them on for about a minute. What the hell was the point of that ???

At the other extreme, I was on a flight the other day and was sitting by the emergency exit. A stewardess was checking that the floor was clear (one of the rules) and asked:

"Where are your shoes ? Did you put them up in the overhead locker ?"

I just said: "I'm not a shoe person."

She just said: "Oh, so you don't have any ? Ok !"

I know that's how it should be, but how nice that that's how it was ! :)

3. ffjeans

ffjeans Member

I've just recently, over the summer began to fly barefoot. Initially, I would wear flip flops into the airport, but after security keep them off and carry my flip flops in my hands (I know, that's sacrilegious).

However, after my first trip I've found out that no one cares; plus with all the crowds during peak travel times, no one is looking down at your feet anyway. On following trips, I would walk into the terminal barefoot, get my ticket, go through security, and board all barefoot. I had a pair of flip flops in my carry-on, just in case; but didn't need them. I flew exclusively United Airlines out of Dulles (DC), Chicago and Atlanta.

By the way, I love walking around the terminals in DC, Chicago and Atlanta barefoot. The floor textures are fantastic, and, no one cared that I was walking barefoot (no shoe police).

4. hillman30

hillman30 Member

Just out of curiosity were the floors clean? I know in large train stations your feet get very black.

5. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Hi,

after some searching i found what i was looking for ;-)

[​IMG]
    Air Taxi by Oriolus @ flickr

take care!

6. WootMaster

WootMaster Member

I'm guessing that they don't want to get sued if you catch athletes foot...lol

7. HipGeek

HipGeek Member

Same as FFJeans here... I have never had a problem flying barefoot.

8. New Kiwi

New Kiwi Guest

I fly a lot, since I live in New Zealand long-haul flights are pretty much standard whenever I want to go somewhere other than Australia. I find that it is very common for people on long-hauls to take off their shoes for the duration of the flight.

In NZ it is common for people to barefoot in the airports but usually not to get on the plane. One time I was on a flight passing through Singapore. We landed and this Kiwi family was headed up the airbridge with all their kids still barefoot from the flight. They got stopped by Singapore security people and I passed them all despreately searching their bags for some kind of footwear for the kids. Singapore doesn't allow chewing gum, never mind bare feet.

There was a case a few years back of an Air NZ flight being held up because two 4-year olds were barefoot and the pilot wouldn't take of until the kids' shoes could be found in their already loaded baggage so they could put them on 'for safety reasons'. The irony was passengers were then told to remove their shoes for comfort once the flight was up (after the 1 hour delay caused by the shoe search). An MP on the flight called it ridiculous and Air NZ had to apologise.

9. charlie35

charlie35 Member

I've now also decided that Singapore is somewhere I DON'T want to live!!

10. Matje

Matje Member

It's too bad Singapore is not barefootfriendly because their airport would be heaven for barefooters. They have soft carpet ALL over and the cleanest restrooms in the world.

11. RobWP

RobWP Member

Just come back from New York on a short break - barefoot on the plane both ways with no comments. BA were no worries at all.

12. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

In my last job I flew quite a bit. The only airline that ever gave me a problem when I was barefoot was US Air. I was on a flight from Dallas to Charlotte and I thought they were going to kick me off. The flight attendants were actually standing inside the front door of the plane eyeing each passanger head-to-toe as they boarded. They said it was okay to kick off my shoes when I was seated, but they wanted me to put on my flip-flops to walk the 10 ft from the plane entrance to my seat. United, Frontier, Southwest, American (others?) - no issues at all.

You might check out this thread.
    http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=394429

13. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Feet do tend to stink worse at altitude...:biggrinjester:

14. GiddyLaughter

GiddyLaughter Member

Man, my feet smell so much less since I've been barefoot then they ever were when I was wearing socks and shoes. Nevermind when the plane gets up in the air and hundreds of people decide to take off their shoes that they've been sweating in for years. That has got to be a worse stench.

At least my feet get a good wash every morning :)

15. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Man If I lived on a warm beach, I would totally go 'Robinson Caruso' barefoot..
    but right now with winter upon us here in the north, I'm just happy my feet aren't sweating anymore when I am wearing shit on my feet. My feet may be cold, but at least they're dry!
    Damn winter sucks :freezing:

ZW

16. GiddyLaughter

GiddyLaughter Member

Definitely man, I don't think there's many people that can handle the winters in the north barefoot but I love winter nonetheless, so quiet and pretty.

17. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

mine wont stop sweating (and stinking) unless bare, but temps never hit readings below -5 C° here, to tell it all. weather seems stuck in early autumn, minimum temperature of the night, 17 C° today, in change there are ruinous floods and landslides killing scores and dismantling entire communities. friggin' ominous weather. oh, maybe you wanted to say crusoe or i totally failed to grasp the joke ?

18. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Yeah, I meant crusoe...but it could have been a fruedian slip, I guess...:confused:

I wish I was a castaway barefoot tenor?

[​IMG]

...now those shoes look uncomfortable!

ZW

19. ffjeans

ffjeans Member

Yes, walking barefoot through DC, Atlanta and Chicago left my soles clean.

20. drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann Member

Dear New Friends: (I'm here a newbe in this forum)

Here in Brazil TAM-airlines and German Lufthansa are more tolerant: I always onboard barefoot and continue barefoot allover my travels: no problems!
    But the dutch KLM are some sons of ..., like those american companies, you told about.

But my general questions is: Which is the fundamental law of business?
    Answer: customer is king and we (the business companies of all kind) his servants!

Who those fools of some airlines think that they are?
    To own an airline is no longer a gold mine. Many companies have shut. Many have trouble and fight, one against the other, to conquere its customers.
    I cannot travel barefoot? My money back to me! I'll book at other company.
    To many of them, even if their rules prohibit onboarding barefoot, do not matter with you and will let you in like you are: barefoot (For security reason, have a pair of shoes in your hand luggage. I myself do so!).
    Other alternativity is, if you have sufficient time, to travel with a long-distance-bus- company. Generally they are more tolerant.
    Let's boycot, who do not admit our entrrance barefoot! Our money is our. They do not do any favour to us, they do just their job and will have to learn to respect customer's individuality.

Other possibility: catch a good lawyer and go to court: discrimination! Barefoot is your lifestyle and your culture. Not only Brazil, but also the USA are a multicultural country and have to l respect the different cultures, there are.
    To prohibit onboarding barefoot is merly hypocrisy, because, at least at long distance flights, most passengers onboard wearing shoes, but take them off when reach on board and stay there barefeet or only with socks. No one prohibits this practice for safety reasons.
    Moral reasons? Your are only barefoot, neither toppless nor naked at airport!!! Come On!
    Let's teach the airline companies to respect us, whipping them (at court), if necessary.

Yours truly, friends!
    Toivo