Question about Medical Marijuana and Social Security Disability

Discussion in 'Medicinal Cannabis and Marijuana' started by slappyman, Feb 12, 2011.

1. slappyman

slappyman Member

I know that we have a variety of people on this forum and I'm hoping that I can get an answer to a question that popped into my head last night.

What happens if you are collecting disability from the Federal Government and you apply for and receive a medical marijuana card in a state where it is legal?

I've heard that you automatically lose your benefits. I find this hard to swallow as if I remember reading correctly that the VA is going to start letting vets use cannabis for treatment of PTSD.

Can somebody that is in this situation enlighten me.

2. skip

skip Founder Administrator

One thing has nothing to do with the other. States regulate medical marijuana, not the Feds, so they have no way of knowing whether you're a mmj patient or not. The only issue that comes close is the VA one, and now that mmj is legal in D.C. they'll have a hard time stopping vets from using it. It's the perfect medicine for PTSD.

3. slappyman

slappyman Member

I'm happy for the citizens of D.C. they've been waiting a long time. I do have a hard time trying to figure out how Congress can decide that it's OK for the citizens of the district but not for the rest of us. There is a bill H.R.2835 that's been stuck in commitee since 2009 that would make Medical Marijuana legal at the Federal level depending on state law of course.

Edit: H.R. 2835 has ceased to be.

4. necradawn

necradawn Member

Recently i have been considering getting my medicinal marijuana papers signed. I live in Canada and I am not clear on what I can and can not do with the medicinal marijuana (such as how much i can grow and carry on me at once)

5. Burnt

Burnt Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'm on Social Security Disability and have my medical marijuana card and there is no loss of benefits for me.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

my friend is in the Va hospital. I took him some weed yesterday..
    sadly he smokes more tobacco though... not to change the subject..

7. Prague

Prague Guest

I just moved to Washington State and want to get my medical marijuana card. It is the only thing that really helps symptoms.

I am on social security disability and am worried that if they find out I will lose my benefits.

I've heard opinions back and forth but has anyone actually dealt with social security about this? Talked to a lawyer or someone at Social Security?

I'm really nervous.

Thanks

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The Feds can't seem to get their heads out of their ass on this issue...... Maybe talk to a lawyer but don't even mention it to someone at Social Security.