Annie Greensprings, Ripple, Boone's Farm, Cold Duck!

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by skip, Sep 4, 2009.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Remember the good old wine daze when there were all these cheap sweet gateways to life in the booze lane...

Dig this! Time mag article from 1971! Damn, that's the year I started College. Can't believe it's on the web. Way to go Time!

I used to drink these back in 71: Annie Greensprings, Ripple, Boone's Farm and Cold Duck!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,905097,00.html

Great quote:
    Can't believe Time mag once promoted drinking wine & smoking pot together!

2. Ruby Cafeteria

Ruby Cafeteria Guest

I recall quite clearly a lot of great days and nights in the 60s, when my large circle of friends and I sat about around a campfire, or on the floor of someone's apartment, listening to music, passing a joint that was quickly followed by a passed bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine, to wet your lips. A Silly thing perhaps, but they were great times, great conversation, and great music.

3. oink

oink Member

I remember those well but never cared for them. I prefered beer and bourbon.

4. Trigcove

Trigcove Member

I recall Feb of 1971, at Mardi Gras in New Orleans, panhandling on Bourbon St. to get a buck for that familiar green bottle of Boone's Farm apple. Bourbon St. was a great place to panhandle, because people gave you paper money instead of change. We didn't have to pass the bottle, we each had our own. As soon as it empty, we'd take 5 minutes to panhandle up a buck for another one. The streets were literally curb deep in broken green glass. What a mess. :)

5. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

annie greensprings....spent a summer with annie i did....in Michigan in the early 70s

here in canada we drank 'light and easy'...they used to say that it was Delicious until you over do it and get sick...then you will never drink it again and they were right

6. silverhippy

silverhippy Comfortably Numb

Haha, I used to use those wines in my water bongs, and they were almost mandatory at every concert, we used to pass them around in those fake Goat skin things, "Bota bags"

Peace

7. hafreed

hafreed Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Those were good times with good friends. Wonder where they are. A lot of forgotten nights too.

Is there anything like them now? I don't think I would like to drink it again regularly, but it would be interesting to experience that taste again and see what memories/feelings come up.

8. oink

oink Member

I still like beer and bourbon.

9. Trigcove

Trigcove Member

That's good, Oink, because you can't get Annie Greensprings, original Boone's Farm, or Ripple anymore.
    I think that Boone's Farm still makes Strawberry Hill and maybe a couple of other "cooler"-like wines, but the days of Boone's Farm Apple are gone gone gone.

10. hafreed

hafreed Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

At the local gas station/convenience store yesterday I saw a shelf of Boone's Farm in a cooler. Strawberry Hill, an old friend, was there along with 6 or 7 other flavors (Wild Cherry, Blue Hawaii, Watermelon). I did not see any apple flavors, but then I remembered the internet
    http://boonesfarm.net/
    They list two apple flavors. I think my friends and I drank the green apple (and Strawberry) with our smoke.

11. oink

oink Member

I had a girlfriend that crocheted a cover for ripple bottles. She was partial to ripple.

12. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ripple later became the wine of choice among winos, along with Thunderbird, MD 2020 and Night Train.

I also remember a dessert wine called Bali Hai, which had tropical flavors mixed in, and Spanada, a bastardized bottled version of the Mexican Spanada drink. Blecch! We had a lot to learn about what makes for good wine!

13. monkey paw

monkey paw Member

I had Boons Farm and Ripple t shirts from back in the early 70s. I thru them out about 10 years ago. I should have framed them! Does anyone remember King Solomon wine? We bought it in the gallon vinegar jugs with the finger ring. Always had about a half inch of sludge settled on the bottom.

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You guys might be too young to remember Orange Glow and Lemon Glow. Cheap-cheap rot gut.1st time drunk on that crap at 13. Sickly sweet orange or lemon tasting stuff that made me puke about 20 feet after drinking a 5th! I still can't drink wine because of that night.

15. cmfrtblynumb

cmfrtblynumb Member

We used to drink a Jap wine called Akadame. It tasted like grape juice and combined with betel juice it was a pretty good trip but a hell of a crash landing.

16. film noir

film noir Member

Memories and feelings might not be the only things that come up. The contents of your stomach are likely to follow.

17. cherryberry

cherryberry Member

We used to drink T.J Swan . They had a flavor called Mellow days . There were some more flavors but ,I can't remember them all . I don't even think you can find it anymore .

18. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

Back then we used to get a Pint of Pink Lady 21- for 89 cents . I havent seen that around in yrs- -they must of did experiments with the friggin chemicals in that stuff and took it off the market years ago.
    Jeezuz, that stuff was closer to a bad drug- then a wine----- :puke:.

The Mad-dog 20-20 only came in 1 flavor. Now I see it comes in about 10 different day-glo colors * *

19. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I still see Wild Irish Rose alot. Only 2 varities Red and White. I still can't hear of Ripple without thinking of Fred Sanford's "Mint Jipple" Mint Julep and Ripple.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

20. catman2130093

catman2130093 Member

TJ Swann! 70s disco-wow! Oh,and Tuborg beer too...