There's a fucking mushroom growing out of my carpet!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Kinky Ramona, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

WTF? We just noticed it...how the fuck do you miss something like that? We're trying to get a picture...I'll try to show you guys in a minute. Mushrooms grow in carpet????

2. Katie89

Katie89 Senior Member

if it is moist

3. Kinky Ramona

It has rained and our door does tend to leak a little...but holy shit, I have no idea where this came from, it's HUGE for us to have just noticed.

4. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Somebody is taking a piss on your carpet on the regulah.

5. Kinky Ramona

I figure I'd smell that... ;)

6. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

I've had them grow out of my kitchen tiles before. It is the sign of a fertile home.

7. Kinky Ramona

I'd better get on some good birth control pills stat. :eek:

8. nesta

nesta Banned

mushrooms grow very quickly, and some can grow to nearly full maturity literally overnight. the mushroom itself (the fruiting body) is merely the reproductive portion of the fungal mass, not the body of the organism itself. the mushroom is to the fungus as an apple is to an apple tree, or a blackberry to a bush.

my parents had a couple carpet squares under a leaky sink in the basement once and it had some white waxy mushrooms pop out of it after a long while.

also they had door mats that needed replacing...woven straw mats that had been out in the autumn rain for a long time...eventually that grew a couple mushrooms

my dad's old work had a mushroom grow up from under the tiles in the more or less disused kitchen once.

they'll pop up in weird places sometimes :eek:

9. simplistic

simplistic Member

They can grow very fast.

10. nesta

nesta Banned

11. Kinky Ramona

I wish I knew mushrooms better...it would be neat if I could safely trip on it. ;)

12. nesta

nesta Banned

also, the mushrooms have to be feeding off some sort of nutrition. if there is wood under the carpet, this is likely the nutrition for the fungus. but it could be the carpet itself, too. either way, i'd suggest getting that mushroom off of there and spraying down the area with a generous amount of lysol, which is an excellent fungicide.

maybe even spray with lysol really well and then pour a litttttttle water over it to help carry the product down into the carpet better

13. Kinky Ramona

Thanks a ton...as cool and random as it is...it's really fucking disgusting...lol.

14. nesta

nesta Banned

my only worry is that if more mushrooms grow, whatever they're "eating" will be depleted over time. i'll see if i can get a good pic...

[​IMG]
    that is a PF cake, used for growing magic mushrooms at home. it is vermiculite (a common gardening material, non nutritive), organic whole grain flour of some sort (usually brown rice - i've used millet, i know rye should work), and water. the stuff is sterilized in a jar and spores are injected into the cake, and this is the result once it's fully colonized. the white mass is mycellia, the body of the fungus

[​IMG]
    this is a fruiting cake

now those mushrooms are about 90% water. the rest of it is produced from the nutrition available to it. the vermiculite, which composes the bulk of the cake's volume, has no nutrition to offer, being merely puffed mica.

this means that the mushroom has to produce it's body from the flour only, and after a few flushes (groups of simultaneously maturing mushrooms, as seen in the second picture) the fungus has eaten up so much of the flour and absorbed so much water through the cake that the cake will be maybe only 2/3 the size it originally was. if put back in the jar which it originally fit into like a hand in a glove, you could easily shake it around no problem at all. you could probably fit a finger between the glass and the cake.

considering how little of the cake is actually nutritive, this is pretty impressive.

now, different mushrooms feed on different substances and will grow and behave differently. that said, all mushrooms need sustenance. i don't think gross is an issue so much as structure damage if it's legitimately growing out of the floor. it has to be eating -something- and if you don't kill it off it will continue to do so :eek:

15. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

My little mushroom can grow very big in a short amount of time. :cool:

16. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

I've heard of women that have a little mushroom growing out or their carpet before,, :cool:

17. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Our cracked tile countertop sprouted mushrooms once. I pulled it out and there was a HUGE like, root system [for lack of a better term] that pulled out with it, it had eaten and taken up a whole 4x4" square of wood under a tile.

18. whimbrel

whimbrel Wasteland Soldier

wtf? woah

19. Kinky Ramona

Nesta's advice was great, Lysol fixed the problem. :D

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..........ross :ack2: