Honey Bees are coming back!

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by earthmother, Jul 7, 2008.

1. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Just look at all these posts! so much to complain about and worry about! So. I thought perhaps it was high time to spread some POSITIVE news.

The bee disappearances that have everyone so worried? I believe that my original theory is correct! I felt that bees had simply become too weak in the care of humans to survive in this manner. Bees have been "kept" by humans for thousands of years. Think about this. How many humans do you suppose could survive if suddenly they were forced to actually simply TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES (no money, no job, no chemicals or modern medicine whatsoever, no technology, etc...)? Not many, right? Now, apply that idea to humans keeping bees. At present, it is virtually impossible to "keep" bees without the use of CHEMICALS (medicines etc.) to keep them from dying. But humans can't even take care of themselves, so how are they supposed to take care of ANY natural animal or insect which has become so domesticated that it can't take care of itself either???

OK. Blame cell phones, blame GM crops, blame insecticides... Whatever.

But the bees at least in SOME places are coming back!
    Here, we live in "the sticks". Many years ago several of our neighbors kept bees, but those folks have died of old age or moved away. Most of the rest of the local bee keepers have given up due to so many problems with keeping bees. So for a few years we saw NONE AT ALL. With no effect to the crops, by the way.

But, bees are known to travel about 2 miles from the hive to find pollen. They won't go much farther away from their hive than that. I have several small fields of pure white clover which I keep going in order to try to attract any honey bees into the area. This year, for the first time in 5 or so years, there are HUNDREDS of honey bees showing up daily to feed! They love the poppy crop too... They MUST be wild ones. I don't think anyone within 5 miles of here keeps bees any more. But because there is NO GM farming, poor to no cell phone service, no big farms at all for large quantities of poisons to accumulate, and the existing bees have a totally natural diet, they now seem to be thriving! I was so excited to finally see a couple bees here in the clover patch, and there have been more coming every single day. I now can not walk across a field without watching where I step! They are doing well, getting stronger, taking care of themselves. No human interference. So, it IS a natural cycle of survival of the fittest, and sometimes that HAS to happen so that species do not get so weak they die out. Let's celebrate the bees return!

2. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

3. trekker

trekker Intrepid Traveler

I love bees. I am glad they are rebounding. Without bees there would be much less to appreciate in life.

4. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Never left my neck of the woods, but perhaps all the smoke we have right now may do some damage to their population for the short term. I am seeing little dead finches a lot. And just month ago I couldn't go down into my herb garden because of all the bees on the lavender. Not seeing them now since the smoke settled in.

I have faith that Mother Earth balances things out. I never really feared for the bees, and I hope they've just moved on somewhere that the air is clearer for now in my neck of the woods.

Anyone see that program on earth after people. It was enlightning.

http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

Thats too, I guess the message for the rest of the bee poulation to commit suicide didnt get through.. Must have been interfered by man made microwave transmissions. ..

Ok so if the rest of the Bees are reading this... Kill yourself now so the humans can starve and talk&play on their cell phones.

6. nananie

nananie Member

love it :D bees are so productive for so much things
    i love honey, i love beeswax, i love bees, and i share their feelings about flowers (i don't eat them, but o do love them).

i would plant flowers that bees love if i had the possibillity, maybe i have...

7. CloudFlower

CloudFlower Member

I'm glad to hear this...

8. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

Yay, please send some to my garden. I need pollenators, I'm running out of q-tips! :p

9. eshu

eshu Member

disappearance (extinction?) of bees is a global matter though. I am not sure we may celebrate a 'return' from a local incident as is described here. sadly.

mother gaia knows what she's doing.

10. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

BUT...

If they can regroup in areas like this, then there is a new and healthier base to start from. This means it is possible elsewhere too. I have spoken to several folks around this and neighboring counties and they too report honey bees returning... Perhaps being one of the poorest areas in the USA has it's benefits?

11. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

our backyard in the middle of suburbia was pretty well covered up in honey bees and bumble bees. i didn't see a huge drop off in population.

12. eshu

eshu Member

well our suburb here that I lived in for more than 15 years was never without its bees until last summer. even the city had many bees within. I have seen just ONE bee this summer.

once more, mother gaia knows all well...