Should I end our friendship?-long but I need help

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Bella Désordre, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I've been best friends with the same person since I was 14, with a gap of a couple years when both of our significant others hated each other (we were best friends dating best friends who turned on each other and we took sides). About two years ago we got our friendships back and things were great at first, we had fun, were able to talk about anything and then the drama starts when I got laid off and am in a position where I don't have to work for a couple years as long as I'm in grad school (even though I hate not working and am trying to find a job I will fit perfectly).
    I went to visit her when I got laid off and her bf didn't call her the entire week prior and then called the night of my arrival and got pissed that she didn't answer the phone and accussed her of thinking I am more important than him. She cried and her mood was completley ruined until he called her.

The trip was weird she kept talking about her friends from a long time ago, most who she doesn't talk to anymore and just put on this front like she is so cool. One night at a bar I brought this guy I had been dancing with with back to our table (she was already talking with a couple of guys who sat down with us). She flat out told him 'I don't know you and I don't like you and your glasses make you look like a dork'. She was drunk...but still that's uncalled for. Also there were a few reps there who I was doing shots with and I game back with all this logo gear and she kept pouting and telling me how unfair it was that she didn't get any. So I gave her half of mine, because it wasn't a big deal.

Okay now here are the deal breakers in my opinion-We were hanging out on Thursday and I was pm'ing a friend on here and she read one of them while I was taking a shower and she told me how bossy and demeaning he sounded. Thinking she's a good friend made me see her point of view and then his response made me realize she is totally wrong and is just jealous of any attention I have with guys.

Then later on she asked if she could go to school with me that night and we could hit up a bar afterwards. I said sure I don't see why you would want to go to class with me but whatever. In the hallway before class I saw this professor I used to date and he hugged me and we talked and she just rolled her eyes the whole time. Then in class we had to chose partners so this guy who seems way chill asks me if I want to be partners. We were coming up with what our semester project topic should be and she kept trying to flirt with him and talk over me when I was talking about class. Then we go to this bar that's mostly filled with thirty-somethings and she starts talking to these guys who were obviously doing there own thing and not into her and she talks over them, they still don't pay attention so she starts talking really loud to me about blow-jobs-this embarassed the crap outta me.

but this is where she gets mean and not just rude:
    on our way home she tells me she is 'so proud of me for finally losing some weight'-exactly those words. And then tells me she saw this documentary on fat people and this one woman's skinny friend would make her fatening food and my friend said 'I was telling my dad that that would be like me eating ice cream if you didn't want any'. I'm 5'9 and a size 10-12 so I am really not fat but I could stand to lose a good 10 pounds. My friend's naturally small, which is great but the fact that she was discussing my weight with her dad (who hates me because in high school i lied to cover for my friend) makes me angry.

So her little remarks, her whole existence depending on a 21 year old boy who doesn't work or go to school (she's 27) and her inabliity to know when it's appropriatte to get rowdy drunk as opossed to just having a few makes me wonder if I can still be friends with her. I am laying low this weekend because I do not want to go out with my friends because she will be there as she's in town for break.

What should I do? Is it time to sever the friendship?

2. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

Also, a few weeks ago I went on this great date decided not to go back to the guy's apartment and she said 'oh that's so sad that he didn't want to have sex with you'. I then told her 'no he invited me over I'm just not ready yet' and she just got really quiet. I've slept with five guys and to me sex is an intimate thing I share with people I love. She's lost count but estimates she's been with at least 30 people and always comments about how I am too uptight and wants to give me these books to make me 'more comftrable with sex'.

3. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

oh and she correct my spelling in my emails and says 'it's okay lots of people can't spell it doesn't mean you're stupid'. ...I'm a freelance writer-I write training guides, I use spell check....I never said or thought I was stupid.
    and in spanish she grabbed my notebook and wrote an accent over something trying to correct me...the word didn't even have and accent on it and remember I didn't even want her to go to class with me.

4. benotfree

benotfree Member

It doesnt sound like you like her very much, I think on this topic you've really already made up your mind. Personally, she sounds like a bitch, so I wouldnt be friends with her, but it also sounds like she's jealous of you.

5. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

She is patronising to you. gee hope I spelled that OK

:)

6. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I let her make me feel SOOOO bad about myself. I was suppossed to go clubbing with a girlfriend last night and didn't go because I felt so unattractive. My mom wanted to go eat thai today and I still don't feel like leaving the house for anything but exercise.

I haven't felt this bad about myself since I was in a very abusive relationship that I let affect my self-esteem.
    I am just done. I have no desire to 'get back at her' or anything like that. I just want nice friendships in my life. I despise cattiness. I haven't returned her calls. The next time she calls I'm going to tell her that some of the things she does are not right and I can't continue this friendship until she changes them.
    The only reason she's jealous of me are for petty stupid materialistic reasons and because she easily becomes depressed. My friend who's a doctorate student in psychology thinks that Katie has boderline personality disorder, which I agree with but didn't say so because I hate gossiping. I unserstand she is depressed and unsure about her life but I have mental health issues as well and don't take them out on people who are trying to build me up. I am always trying to build her self-confidence up so for her to slam me is ridiculous.

7. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

but why would she want to do that? I don't understand. I never do that to her. I've been so nice and supportive.

8. Cutted

Cutted Cutted

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump'er

9. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

She's insecure, and doesn't like her life, so she's taking it out on you.

you could try and get her help, but I'm not sure it'd be worth it. She needs to want to change before anything will be different.
    And I think you know that it isn't a good relationship for you

10. Brand New Soul

Brand New Soul Senior Member

I think shes jelouse of you ! Just confront her... Ask her why shes being a bitch? Dont sevre it...14 years... is a long time.. people get stupid and sometimes they need to be reminded of who they are and hows really important. If she continues on that way... just drop it.

11. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I emailed her with how I felt. She apologized for being a bitch. I apologized for blowing her off and being a flake and all in the world is right again.
    Thank you for listening to me vent and your advice. I appreciatte it lots and lots

12. blenderhead

blenderhead Member

stop going out with her.
    and then if she asks why, tell her all she does is bitch.
    she seems pretty stuck up (no offence mind, but its what it sounds like). she's jealous of you, your social life, your relationships with other guys AND she sounds a bad drunk. friends are supposed to be ya home, be there for ya when ya need picking up, there for good conversation etc...not bringing up the past about weight, talking about you behind your back, snooping around your private life and conversations. jeez, it seems you two are married or some shit. and an unhealthy marriage at that.

sit her down, explain all this...and if all else fails, then give her a nice big slap. she needs it.

13. blenderhead

blenderhead Member

right, ive just read ya last post (i should really do that, haha)
    glad everything is fine and dandy.
    =)

14. BodyElectric

BodyElectric Member

You should hook her up with chris1661.

*shamefully* I'm sorry. I honestly couldn't help myself...

15. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

we just talked for a really long time and let it all out. I was really wrong, we both were. It feels good to have everything on the table. I have some really special people in my life and am so lucky.

16. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

Send her to the bars I drink at.