My plant is to top heavy?!?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Techniques' started by nooglet, Oct 22, 2006.

1. nooglet

nooglet Member

Hi guys,

First decent attempt at growing in some years. (earlier attempts being a young teenager) I'm growing indoors, but using natural light in my sun room. All was going well. I'm about the 2nd / 3rd week in, I have of course the 2 original round leaves, the two spikies that have sprouted from there and the next layer of 3 leaves and the final is beginning with 5 leaves. Problem is the plant is now to top heavy and has decided it can't support it's own weight. It's about 13 cm (5.2inches?) tall and about the same at the widest point in the biggest leaves.

At present I have stabalised it by using prop ups so it won't fall over. The only information I can currently find are the following;

1. Prop it up and strengthen the stem by using a fan to get some wind going to strenthen the stem.
    2. Prune the crown area above the first set of leaves to keep the weight off.

I have done option 1. seeing this as a more safe option then to start hacking willy nilly.

Any suggestions guys? Any own experiences in regards to this same problem?

Thanks in advance!

Nooglet

2. fishheadbob

fishheadbob Member

Nice problem to have. Try using some twist ties - the little wire things used on bread bags and foodstuff - to hold the stalk to the stick until the stalk catches up to the leaves. Don't shear. The fan will help.

I wonder if going with only natural lighting might be part of the problem. Plants grow upwards towards the light, if your sunroom has a lot of diffused light your babies might not be certain which way is up?

3. dash

dash Member

I seriously doubt it's from using natural light. Most likely it's from not having a fan or any movement on the plant, when that happens the plants don't feel the need to grow a really strong stem.

Don't do option #2, proping and the fan should take care of it. It is possible that the weak stems are caued by too much N, whats Ur feeding schedual and what do you feed them?

4. nooglet

nooglet Member

Cool thanks for the replies.... I was thinking it might have something to do with the natural light as it has been bending towards it. So I have been rotating it around so it wouldn't be on a constant bend. Maybe that's the issue?

I haven't been feeding it anything. Wasn't really going to bother. I'm really just growing it for fun anyway, not worried abour reaping a wicked harvest or anything.

5. rangerdanger

rangerdanger Senior Member

Your not gonna have any luck growing MJ using solely natural light indoors. They aren't house plants.
    Marijuana needs lots of intense light. That's why people spend hundreds of $$ for HID lights indoors.

Outside, marijuana recieves direct sunlight from shorty after sunrise to shortly before sunset. You can't get that indoors unless the plants are in an area that recieves unobstructed light during that time.

Propping the plants up won't help. They simply aren't recieving enough light energy.

My suggestion--build a grow room and put in fans and at least 6,000 lumens of the correct spectrum of light per sq/ft.

6. Coopdog

Coopdog Member

^^^ what ranger says is true. they are spindly because they are reaching towards the light, or stretching. Marijuana needs at least 5 hours of direct sunlight a day to develop into a nice plant. They need more light bro. I have sen it done indoors, tho, when I met my wife, her brother had a 6 foot tall monster of a bush in his living room window, growing just with the natural sunlight that came in from the south facing window.

I also grew some decent smaller plants in my bedroom as a teenager that developed into some rather nice leafy plants. They had to go tho, because the neighbor noticed them :) The key is that the window or room be on the South side of the house, so it gets the most sunlight... at least in my part of the world. :) Peace...